Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's over 2k U.S....
Your choices of detectors available for that kind of money are many.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a PI guy, and I love my Tesoro Sand Shark. I've dug a lot of bobbypins, but I have averaged about $4,000.00 in melt gold per year at the beach since 2010. You'll have a lot of folks argue that you need a Minelab Excalibur or some other multi-freq machine because you "will be able to cover more beach and dig less trash." You'll also dig a lot less gold.

No matter what you decide, Big Gold to you!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I differ from Terry in that I get tired after digging Bobbie pins, bread wrapper wires, tacks etc. and at deep depths too. The Excal doesn't sound off on iron but will find the gold and coins underneath. Course it costs a little more but you get more. Another good choice is the Fisher CZ-20/21. Any ole detector will work in the dry sand, but for the wet sand or water you will need more than one frequency.

What ever you get enjoy the hobby.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/ :thumbsup:

Last edited:

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming you are talking about an ocean beach? Are you going to be working in the water or the wet sand? If so, if you don't mind digging every signal, look into a PI machine. If you are sticking to just the dry sand, just about any good VLF machine will work well.

If your budget permits, I would go with BOTH a PI and a VLF. -- I view it like a toolkit -- no one tool does every job I need it to.

If I decided to go with a VLF only, I would probably buy a Fisher CZ-21 with the 8" coil. It may not cover a ton of ground, but in the water it would be much easier to pinpoint with and cut through the water with ease.

If you go the PI route, (which I did), I love my Garrett Sea Hunter MKII, as I can switch out coils and headphones; I use the 8" coil in the surf for the above mentioned reasons, and the 10x14 coil on the wet sand, for additional coverage and depth. For the dry sand I bring along my Garrett AT-Pro to work the towel line. In a pinch, it can go in the water, but depth will be limited. Those two detectors also can share headphones, which is another plus.

Your next decision will be your sand scoop -- get a good one, and then get out there and start making some great finds and enjoying the fresh air and ocean views. -- That's a treasure in itself!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad to see that most hunters are of a different opinion than Terry Soloman. In this case, I have to agree with them.
EXCALIBUR RULES

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is sad to see that most hunters are of a different opinion than Terry Soloman. In this case, I have to agree with them.
EXCALIBUR RULES
I hit beaches hammered by Excals and find old gold and silver they leave behind all the time - not talking 1 or 2 guys either
like 10 to 20 guys- not only do it up here but in Fla. too - see my albums for the proof - guys say they get goods under or with junk
but they don't get it all - you only get it all with Pi or in all metal - I used to use a Pi - now I hunt with vlf in all metal
I go to lots of areas others think they cleaned out and get stuff deeper they missed or under junk they passed up
Terry is a hunter after my own heart :notworthy:
but it depends on if you want to get as much gold (not all the gold) as fast as you can
or you want to get all that you are able to with the machine and talent you have (and luck too)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread