Help needed with identifying spot to dig

rajahassan

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

I am new to this forum and gold prospecting.I have found out about gold in a river close to where I live.I visited the river and tried panning with some shallow material from an area of the river where bedrock outcrops.there was black sand (magnetite) and mica.This area i believe is part of the inside meander.From what I have read about gold I think this is a good spot to dig.However there is a problem.The bedrock traverses the river bed at an angle that is, it doesnot run exactly perpendicular to the river flow. any thoughts about this area,should i go deep?

Upvote 0

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

I'm no expert, but think that finding the paystreak is what should be done first. Once you've found that, then you should start looking at the cracks and crevaces. Doesn't matter that the cracks aren't perpendicular. A crack running inline with the stream will narrow and so gold moving down that crack will lodge. Here's a link with some very good information on reading streams.

How To Read A Stream Or River

Hope that this is of help.

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Sound like the streams i prospect. Just follow the bedrock perpendicular to the river until you find where the streak runs. Then move dirt. Clean bedrock=yellow pan!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost always deeper is better, gold will settle as deep as it can go. As said above keep test panning to find a pay streak.

GG~

OP
OP
R

rajahassan

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.I am planning a trip this weekend and hopefully i will get some colour in my pan.

@benny.thanks for the link. i have read this before it is one of the best materials out there.

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
np. All the reading helps, but not as much as going out, making mistakes, and learning from 'em. :icon_thumright:

Goldhunterwes

Greenie
Apr 27, 2013
Yucaipa, ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter not much time with it. Most my time is with a Thompson puffer drywashers a blower packwasher and then my 5 ft sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello and welcome to Gold hunting :) I recommend checking out www.bedrockdreams.com lots of good Info there. As mentioned before find cracks and crevices to clean out. In a stream that flows constant the gold will work down to the bottom faster. Local conditions such as water flow, flood levels and rock types, plants all add factors to finding that pay streak. I've found once you start exposing bed rock in a stream there are cracks running in all directions.

And if your new look for a club in your area best money spent would be a membership. Access to claims is good but members willing to help you and teach you when your new to this is priceless.

OP
OP
R

rajahassan

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info.Bedrock dreams is one of my favourite sites.
About my trip yesterday.The temperature was in the 40s (celsius) and I think to go any deeper will have to wait for the winter.It is almost impossible to work in these temperatures.I came across a lot of tailings within the river bed which proves that people have been digging there.I also found out that the local people only dig down to a layer which has visible black sand and dont necessarily go down to bedrock

This trip was a failure as far as gold is concerned but i got a lot of info on the area.Gold prospecting isnt easy!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No it isn't. I remember when I first got started, I said Gee, I was hoping for more and more often. When I get dissapointed with my results, I go to a known gold producing area (at least in the past it was) and give myself a boost in confidence. As you hear time and time again, gold is where you find it. Good luck and happy hunting.:thumbsup:
PS I also started MD'ing and I've found that "no tone" is A LOT like "no color". I can't stand either one of them! LOL

OP
OP
R

rajahassan

May 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have attached a picture of the area where i think there is gold.i would like to hear ur views on the picture.

2013-05-19 10.20.17.jpg

where do u think i should concentrate my efforts?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread