help needed

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
help needed. now with pictures.

IMG_20150213_162200.jpg IMG_20150213_161750.jpg IMG_20150213_161716.jpg Hello guys i found this on a beach in Denmark, and i really don't know what it is any help would be appreciated. IMG_20150213_161626.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No i haven't since I found it in Denmark. The thing has some sort of core, and it looks like it has been attached to some sort of animal see picture 3 and 4.

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My thought was also some sort of tooth, it weighs 250 gram.

Perico

May 29, 2012
No enamel, no tooth. I believe Harry is correct. Try posting on artifact forum. Bet you will get some better input.

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, i have also thought about the surface texture. looks a bit funny. I think i am going to look up an geologist or an paleontologist to get some answers, thanks for the interest.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
The key is in image #1. Tooth material (dentin) does not produce conchoidal and step fractures like this rock exhibits. The material is massive rather than laminated like a sperm whale's tooth. This rock has been battered at the broad end from a number of directions . . . as a knapping baton might be.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never been to Denmark... But i have used english flint and maybe this is a nodule of flint. Since it isn't directly out of the cliffs or ground, while it was in the water it could have absorbed other minerals and material that stained it up pretty good. Nodules and concretions can give an illusion and appearance of being all sort of things

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see what you mean Harry, that could well be an answer. To padirtdigger, i have read on the internet that a professor from Denmark said exactly the same as you, he also said that it could be a fungus called kisel in Danish. i don't know what it is called in English

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fungus? Hmm... No idea about any of that.

Im gonna stick to water worn/stained flint. Maybe be able to knap a blade out of it....

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe be able to knap a blade out of it. Padirtdigger i am Sorry I didn't understand that.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flint-Knapping is the art- or craft of chipping stone to make a tool. (I can understand why that would not necessarily translate well!) Cheers ;) Yakker

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks yakker, i will post when I find out more about this. Thank you all for your interest. Greetings from Denmark and happy hunting.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah sorry about not fully explaining that... as stated though, it is the art of chipping a stone into a usable too, be it a knife, spear, projectile point and even flake blades like the Hopewell Culture would have done. To knap is to be able to control chipping/flaking/breaking of a rock into something usable.... I've heard many explanations of it!!

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taler du dansk eller er det Google translate?

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny... I googled it too. Thank you and good luck.... I also clicked the wrong language and it said something about high ceilings.... hahahhaa

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! ;) Google translate. I spent several months in Denmark, Sweden and Norway years ago but don't remember anything of the language other than 'tak' meaning 'thanks', alas. The Danes were particularly kind- and spoke excellent English.

OP
OP
J

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, you should come back to Denmark it has only gotten better over the years, despite of the terror attack that hit Copenhagen a few days ago. I hope people will wake up and realize that we're all the same people inside. And that people don't let there religions rule there life's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread