craven27

Greenie
Mar 1, 2013
campville
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone i am new to the hobby and i already love, love ,love it. I am hooked. I have put in quite a bit of time researching and marking out spot from sawmills to homesites on google earth using old maps. I have been out and found things. My question is , how do I figure out where these old foundations might have been after finding their locations on maps ? What if there are no corner stones or signs of where the structure might have been or even the land owner not knowing where it was ? especially like old sawmill spots in the woods where you cannot pinpoint where it may have been. Does anyone have any good tips on how i could go about figuring these things out? I would appreciate the help and happy hunting to all.

lou2700

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2013
There is a way you can layer the old map onto google maps match up the old homesites with the land they were on its very helpfull!!
Theres videos on youtube just search finding old homesites
Good luck!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You have to find the old maps that showed the locations. There are a lot of sites that show old maps From Historic Mapworks to the Library of Congress online map room. There are also books like United States Treasure Atlas that show ghost towns. You just have the other half of the research to do, or you could just go there and work from the "evidence' you find. Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If there is no visible sign of a structure then you'll have to search for the "iron patch". Get your coil to the ground and start hunting around for the iron signals which would be from the nails and other iron debris that once made up the structure.

-Swartzie

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When on site, trees can be your guide. Look for areas bare/semi bare of large old trees. Obviously, home sites were cleared, but the surrounding trees were left to block weather.
Swartzie is fully correct. Iron targets will greatly narrow your search. Good luck.
Peace

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's an extension on the tree idea. Look for trees in a line. They may show the roads. Out here there are trees in a row next to roads that haven't existed for 100 years. Way back in some places they burned the old houses and collected the nails for re use. I would get there early and look for 'shadows' of old paths and rectangular flat areas.
Frank...
VERMILLION146-2.jpg

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Also know what plants,flowers,bushes,were common,at the time period,that were grown around houses.In Mass. and NH I look for lilac bushes among other things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread