Help on cleaning a Nickel?

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari
I found a shield nickel a couple weeks ago, and it seemed pretty worn when we found it. At first we couldn't see a date at all, and now we can sort of make out a little of the date but it looks different everytime we try to look at it. If possible, I'd really like to find a date on it because it could be my oldest coin. It still has that reddish color that seems to haunt all nickels. We tried Worcestershier sauce but that didn't do much for us, so if anyone has any ideas on different ways to clean it in order to see the date, we're willing to try new ideas. I can put up new pictures of what it looks like now if anyone wants, just let me know

Thanks for any help! FilthyFlyer

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
If you want to go the worchestershire sauce route, use Lea & Perrins and heat it in the microwave until hot. Put the coin in facing up and let it sit for 30 minutes, then scrub it with a toothbrush under running water. Repeat a few times, reheating the WS each time before you soak. You'll see it clear up gradually. Then flip it over and do the same procedure with the back facing up in the dish.

Some guys use ketchup, some use lemon juice.

Lately, I use Mark's method on all my buffs - a brass brush. Don't use it on your shield as you may lose the date.

Another trick on dfaint dates is to try looking at the date in a dark room using a magnifier and a flashlight shining across the face at a sharp angle (from the side).

Good luck! :wink:

OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Kimsdad said:
If you want to go the worchestershire sauce route, use Lea & Perrins and heat it in the microwave until hot. Put the coin in facing up and let it sit for 30 minutes, then scrub it with a toothbrush under running water. Repeat a few times, reheating the WS each time before you soak. You'll see it clear up gradually. Then flip it over and do the same procedure with the back facing up in the dish.

Some guys use ketchup, some use lemon juice.

Lately, I use Mark's method on all my buffs - a brass brush. Don't use it on your shield as you may lose the date.

Another trick on dfaint dates is to try looking at the date in a dark room using a magnifier and a flashlight shining across the face at a sharp angle (from the side).

Good luck! :wink:

Thanks, I ajust tried the flashlight thing and think I can see a possible 8 or 3 at the end, looks more like an 8. which if it is 78 or 68, it'd be my oldest coin :) my dad heated up the sauce and is soaking it in there now, so hopefully we'll get a date soon. I might take it to a local coin dealer seller guy to see if he can tell.

Also for everyone out there, the smell of hot worcesterer suace is not something to be desired hahaha. not so pretty.. :icon_scratch:

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course we want pictures! Hope you can clean that V up nice!

Congrats on an oldie!
HH

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gimmie The Loot said:
Of course we want pictures! Hope you can clean that V up nice!

Congrats on an oldie!
HH

It's a "Shield" J, not a "V"...But nice try. :laughing7:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use warm peroxide or salt and vinegar.

I cleaned a few buffs with peroxide and it worked well. If the peroxide don't work use salt and vinegar. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes then scrub with a soft toothbrush.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SeaninNH said:
I use warm peroxide or salt and vinegar.

I cleaned a few buffs with peroxide and it worked well. If the peroxide don't work use salt and vinegar. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes then scrub with a soft toothbrush.

I do the same thing, salt and vinegar to get the red out....... but then I take a brass brush to 'em to make 'em shine. But I don't care too much about nickels unless I can see it's a good date or a "shield" nickel. I let those be. If i ever want to sell those, the buyer can clean them any way they want.

But common daters.............. :violent1:

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a before and after of a V that I found and soaked in salt and vinegar for 20 or so minutes.

Attachments

• Vbeforeafter.jpg
    Vbeforeafter.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Vbeforeafter.jpg
    Vbeforeafter.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 120
OP
OP
filthyflyer39

filthyflyer39

Oct 18, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Here are a few pictures of the nickel. We haven't touched the back of it, so the picture there is how it actually looked after just a little rinse when we got home with it. The front is pretty worn and we still aren't sure of a date on it. I'm thinking we might bring it to a coin shop that my uncle goes to alot and see if he can find anything. Well anyways, here ya go!

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 96
  • face.jpg
    face.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 103
  • faceside.jpg
    faceside.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 110

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread