Help on Plantation Home

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Everywhere.!
Without a little more detail its going to be hard to help you out.
Are there forests around it,hilly,rootcellars,large trees, any evidence of a depression in the grass,old buildings,hidden rooms or cellars,foundation rocks that look different , a rock fence, smoke house,fireplace?....the possibilities are endless...Did you know the owner? His habits? 1933 isnt that long ago...so must be some records to research...Good Luck and hope you the best in finding it!

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
In addition to the advise from Gypsy, I will volunteer to help. See, you can have both help and advise when you come to Tnet....... :)

Seriously, I'm not far from Ohio, am currently available, and have a wide range of detectors available to me.

If you need on site assistance I'm sure I can find the time to join you for the hunt.

Garrett 250 through Garrett 2500 with Treasure hound attachment, plus Fisher 1280X and White's MXT.

Let me know via PM if you think I can be of assistance.

Good luck in any/all cases.

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
Not to many trees are around the house..The is a very very large Buckeye Tree standing in front of the house by the road. There was an old building but it was burnt down(where the building was burnt down there is a very large foundation like figure and was thinking it was the top of a cellular or something of that sort, just looking for an opening to it its kind of buried) There is a laundry shot located in the basement could it be in there, in the wall? No fire place or recognizable cellular. Are there usually passages in plantation homes? I was told by the owner of the house that slaves used to be hidden in the home, Passage to the underground railroad maybe?(just a thought :p) I have tried to find research on the plantation no luck yet from the internet so I will be trying the public library soon. The Whitmore family owned the plantation so if anyone has information on them that would also be helpful.
For the assistance question I may be in need not sure, depends on if the girlfriend will be helping..:) Thanks

OP
OP
G

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
No its actually located in Athens County or Hocking County what ever you want to call it..(York Township)

S

stefen

You actually meant 1833 plantation house?

I lived near a similar one in Reynoldsburg (Franklin County) which did have several passages leading from the basement to an adjacent creek. Lots of cellars.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this helps....I just saw a program on PBS that Alan Alda (yeah from M*A*S*H) called the American Experience....it was great because he went to Montecello, and they covered the estate of Thomas Jefferson...As everyone knows, Thomas Jefferson did own slaves (and much more), and it was discovered that each and every slave quarters had a root cellar where they kept some food, and all of their family valuables....the slave quarters were secluded from Montecello, and they were secluded by what we would call windbreaks....Jefferson did not want any of the slaves to be seen....I hope you may want to research PBS (I am in Sacramento, California) and try and find the program....the program itself was really about unearthing the archaeology of Montecello...I have seen this program twice, and it was very fascinating....hope this lead helps you with your search....SushiDog

Lucky13

Oct 9, 2010
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics,Teknetics,TEKNETICS!!
Im from eastern Virginia and have searched around alot of plantation homes here and in the carolinas, My advice to you beng in ohio would be to research whether or not it was part of the underground railroad,known for hiding fleeing slaves from capture in root cellars, or Beneath hollows in hog pins or smoke houses was very common in those times,Fleeing slaves would alot of times bury any type of valuables they may have been trying to take into canada in these hiding rooms along the underground railroad.especially if they were in danger of being discovered by bounty hunters,The possibilitie of the house owners cache would be somewhere they could access it without being visible to there plantation workers,so check the hearth,the fireplace, chimneys,behind foundation stones in the cellar because plantation houses usually have stone foundations.Pretty much everywhere. Those are just a few possibilities but definitely worth checking out. Good Luck and remember, Safety,Scoop.Sift and Shutup. HH.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Indeed there were several passage ways on a plantation, and what I learned from the program I have mentioned in my previous post, this is where the slaves walked in servicing the plantation owners home....if you go to PBS.org I believe the program I saw on Montecello is for sale for around $19.99....watching this video would be well worth your time, and will give you a great insight on how the plantations were designed....Jefferson wasn't the only plantation owner who incorporated these methods, so it's worth considering....I am mentioning this as one of the possible reasons for the passage ways, and I am sure there are more...SushiDog

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to help you out, but, I live in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Best of luck to you. Keep in touch.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is not so active, ergo, I shall leave....I enjoyed the posts that were here, as well as the people, but I am moving on now.....I wish everyone well, and the best of luck.....SushiDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread