Help on pottery

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesero Bandidio, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We have had this pottery in the family for a very long time passed down through the family..any information on area or age? Thanks We have a lot of catawba indian pottery from our family my brother has. It is all dark black this is different, i believe it has to be from the western states but wonder if from the mid west Thanks
IMG_0432.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_1337-1.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_1340.JPG Anybody know where these tools and arrowheads are from

IMG_1338.JPG

Last edited:

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the 1st ones are Anasazi Black on White. I'm a Southeastern ceramic typologist and don't do much Western stuff. I've only got a few shards of it in my entire collection.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frame of projectile points look like North and South Carolina type points to me. The 2 larger ones on each side appear to be Savannah River types. I don't know about the tools.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The pottery may be from the western states, but I don't believe it is ancient. I don't believe they are Anasazi or ancestral Pueblo, but much more recent. If in your family a long time, not made yesterday of course, but perhaps 19th century/20th century. They may be Pueblo, but especially with the second and third example, you will not see those design motifs on Anasazi pottery.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thaigler

Jul 27, 2016
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Knowing my family I would say 1890s...lol that is a long time to me.

The pottery may be from the western states, but I don't believe it is ancient. I don't believe they are Anasazi or ancestral Pueblo, but much more recent. If in your family a long time, not made yesterday of course, but perhaps 19th century/20th century. They may be Pueblo, but especially with the second and third example, you will not see those design motifs on Anasazi pottery.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread