Help out a poor college kid

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I'm new to CRH and have already got addicted, I've got my hands on all the rolls I could in 2 days(about $650). Any way my boss who has been silver hunting and wheat penny hunting for 30 years said that some people put themselves through college doing this. Is this still possible? If so how would I accomplish this? Also what would be the best to search for? Before I head back to school I have $5K I can use so money is far from a major problem for my CRH addiction right now. My first finds have included 6 dimes with 1 merc 3 40%ers 1 Canadian quarter 1 Canadian dime and 1 Mexican nickel(in my dime roll).

Upvote 0

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on volume really. If you are capable of a massive weekly hunt you might be able to pay some college expenses if you are lucky and silver prices go back up around 35-40 per oz. To cover all expenses is unlikely.

OP
OP
JimmerUSD

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, and I've seen on here that some people order in the thousands of dollar range per week, do you have to pick them all up at once or does it depend on the bank?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah generally, when the order comes in, you pick it all up. Dont let it sit in their vaults.

HH

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
In my opinion, most guys on here are probably in it for the long run, as in not selling the silver they find every week. Especially now that silver has kind of tanked. Even at a cheap school, it would take a butt load of silver finds to pay your way. You do it long enough and yes you will hit a big score probably. But it is definitely not a get rich quick scheme and I would not count on it for a regular income.

That being said CRHing is a ton of fun, and wish you all the best.

OP
OP
JimmerUSD

JimmerUSD

Jul 12, 2013
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya I would be more than happy to get that big score but don't expect it. I did not view this as a get rich quick thing it just doesn't make sense to spend something at face value when it can be worth so much more as metal or collector value. Seeing as I am getting 8k of financial aid I am still gonna be busting my butt as manager of the local DQ but was hoping this would help alleviate some of the money gap that is 7k big. Oh well it's still fun and my 8 year old brother likes it and is free labor:hello2: so I'm going to keep it up. Never know what I'll find.

Golden Eagle

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin roll hunting is a lot of fun, but you're VERY unlikely to be able to finance a college education at this time coin roll hunting.

Now, is it possible to accumulate the value out of coin roll hunting equal to your college education over the course of your lifetime? Sure.

Will I? Probably not. My tuition was 54k a year for a chemical engineering degree from a top-tier university.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You work with ALL YOU GOT. Put your money to good use, you're making next to nothing at 0.40% with it sitting in the bank.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think CRH will fund college, i've been doing this pretty hard for 2 years now but have been hunting for almost 6 years. It will definitely offset the cost of some of your books though.

George Baldwin

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was hoping this would help alleviate some of the money gap that is 7k big.

Well 7k is around 350 ounces. Just to give you some perspective, one of the high volume hunters has gotten, if I recall correctly, around 300 oz this year from CRHing. He does from 30 to 40 boxes a week.

Just doing some quick math in my head you might need a bank roll about $2.5k or $5k bigger. If you could do 15 boxes every week and have a bit of luck, you might get to 300 oz in a year.

I would say don't spend so much time CRHing, since you will having to dump thousands of coins weekly, and that takes time away from studying. Besides if you have good grades, you could apply to several scholarships to fill that 7k gap in an easier way. When I was in college I received over 40k from private foundations to pay for my college. I didn't have to take a single loan out.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say there are plenty of better and easier ways to earn $7,000. You said your boss has been CRHing for 30 years...then he can tell you that CRHing finds have gone down quite considerably since the recession hit in late 2008. Do I believe some people put themselves through college CRHing? Yes. Do I think it can be done now? No, especially if you're going to like SDSM&T or something. You have to take into account opportunity cost. What else could you be doing with your time other than CRHing to make money...assuming that's your goal. Also, If you are pursuing a technical degree, CRHing WILL hurt your grades if you are doing it in high volumes. If you're going for a non-technical degree, you might be alright. I'd say, you're doing good if you can pay for your gas. :icon_thumright: Good luck...HH Sleepy.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%.
I would say there are plenty of better and easier ways to earn $7,000. You said your boss has been CRHing for 30 years...then he can tell you that CRHing finds have gone down quite considerably since the recession hit in late 2008. Do I believe some people put themselves through college CRHing? Yes. Do I think it can be done now? No, especially if you're going to like SDSM&T or something. You have to take into account opportunity cost. What else could you be doing with your time other than CRHing to make money...assuming that's your goal. Also, If you are pursuing a technical degree, CRHing WILL hurt your grades if you are doing it in high volumes. If you're going for a non-technical degree, you might be alright. I'd say, you're doing good if you can pay for your gas. :icon_thumright: Good luck...HH Sleepy.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been roll hunting for 35 years. I know that other pastimes are far more profitable. For example, fur trapping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread