All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
the best tip i can give you is to read over the older posts. also read over the terms thread that is a sticky at the top of the board. that's what i did. helped alot. also kept me from asking the same questions that have been asked over and over here.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i agree with SC, but ill answer some anyway:
1. u can have ur bank order them (for free usually), or they usually have alot (except for halves) on hand.
2. halves r the best to search (most silver), which a box is $500.00, so probably around $500-$2,000 is would be good.
hope this helps, good luck, and hh! (happy hunting)

OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, thanks everyone! I hope I can start coin roll hunting soon! HH!

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Recovering Relics,

I would suggest doing what makes you happy. I used to CRH a bit when I had time, but those days are over for now, as I work to much to do any hunting, which is a mixed blessing. I like to find silver, but in my area, boxes of halves don't produce, so now I only buy the random ones that I get from tellers. Buffalo nickels are one of my favorite Am. coins, so I began to buy boxes of nickels and did pretty well with finding buffs, war nicks, a V, and a really sweet '39D. Some people here love to stockpile the wheaties and coppers. Others love to score an elusive Merc.

So my advice is to do whatever makes you happy...as long as that doesn't include posting videos of your finds on Youtube. ::) You can brag about your killer finds on this forum, as all those reading here are already hip to the hobby, and boasting of your good scores here won't bring any more competition. Trust me, competition is already tough. I work in a town with only 2 banks, a population of 1,500 and the other day I bought the halves from a bank there and all of the rolls had been searched, marked, dumped, and rebought by me. >:(

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR,
I started small. Just went to a few banks and asked for rolled coins. Went home and searched them. Be sure and get yourself a "Red Book." Boxes of any denomination are fun. I pick up nickel and cent boxes all the time. Can't do dimes--hurts this old lady's eyes.

And, make sure you don't take your coins that you want to "dump" back into the system to the same bank.

apush :read2:

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ryan,
I suggest you pick a denomination of coin that you like -- pennies or nickles are the easiest to start with. Pennies are $25 per box. Nickles are $100 per box. You can probably fill most of the latest couple of books for either nickles or pennies in just a couple of boxes. The early year books take some time (and for the Lincoln wheat ear cent you'll never find all the early cents in circulation).
Dimes come in boxes that are valued $250. You can find all the post 1964 dimes pretty easily, so those books will fill up in just a couple of boxes.
I've never coin roll hunted any quarters, I just don't hear of a lot of folks who have luck with those.
Quarters and Halves both come in boxes that cost $500. I have been coin roll hunting halves for a year and some change. I've just about filled all three of the Kennedy Half dollar books. I am missing the 2008-D and the 2010's.
The real thrill from hunting what ever denomination you choose is the odd finds. I've found Indian Head pennies, Buffalo and "V" nickles, silver dimes, and three different kind of pre-Kennedy halves (Walking Liberty, Ben Franklin, and a nice Stone Mountain Commemorative).
Whichever way you choose to get started, I wish you well. The good folks on this site will help with advise. When you post your finds, they will congratulate you and celebrate with you.
Take care,
Steve

OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coincrazed said:
Ok, my man! Here is the inside scoop on Coin Roll Huntin'! First of all, since I am telling you this, you had better not go posting videos about Coin Roll Hunting on Youtube. Like my dear friend Mojo said, we might kick you out of our club if you do. I would recommend pennies or nickels if you're on a tight budget (like I was when I first started) as they are cheap- $100 for a Nickle box or $25 for a Cent box. It wasn't until a bud on here recommended I sell things to get $500 that I was really able to go into operation. I still try to save money to increase the amount of boxes I search. My friend says I'm crazy about this. Anyway, dimes and halves are good if you have a LOT of dough, like my man DAS7NY. - coincrazed

I wont post any CRH videos. I'm thinking of getting a cent box. $25 isn't bad and I will probably get some wheaties. I might have some posts in the next week of my cent box. Good luck!

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Read this forum especially the guide.

Dont return coins to the bank you got them from

Dont tell everyone what you are doing [especially the tellers] or else the competition will grow .

Search all different coins both fed wrapped and customer rolls till u find what you like doin best and go for it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread