HELP! Question about a Lincoln Penny

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
I was going through a box of pennies today ( I go through 4 boxes a week for the last 2 years) and found a 1963 D that is unusually light in weight. I first though it was a Canadian penny when i dumped them on the table and when I found it, it was not. It looks normal other than a little dirty and is very light. Only weighs 2.40 grams and not the usual 3.11 grams. Not sure what to think of it. Any info would be nice. I googled it but cant seem to come up with any type error for that year for weight. I could post a pic but it will look like any other 63D penny. Let me know you thoughts.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only logical reason I can come up with is copy. not real

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. Maybe part of magic set, Jewelry or ?

just out of curiosity, try Magnet, see if it floats, check if it comes apart

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
It's not magnetic and it doesn't float. It is only one piece but could be part of a magic set. I'm taking it to my coin dealer today to see what he thinks

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've come across a similar one as you described, mine being a 1986d cent that is unusually light (i don't have a scale) and makes a noise of a newer canadian cent when dropped. I guess more likely a fake, or on a foreign planchet.

OP
OP
rfishoutofwater

rfishoutofwater

Feb 11, 2011
PNW
Detector(s) used
garret 350
Stopped at my coin dealer and he looked at it and confirmed to me that it is real. He said it looks like it was in the ground a while and that it looks like a defective planchette strike. It's not a fake or a magic coin. I had brought another 1963 D with me for him to compare and it's dead on other than weight. So it will go in a 2x2 and be added to my odd finds box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread