help regarding old Continental Road

Pocono Joe

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2009
Hello. I have scoured the internet to little avail, so I come here.

My 12 year old daughter got a metal detector for Christmas. When the weather gets better next month my daughters and I plan on doing some treasure hunting. We own a place in Carbon County Pennsylvania with a section of the old Continental Road in it’s original condition on it. Here are the local “tales”: On the next property to ours is a very old house that was once an inn where George Washington and other historical figures stayed on occasion. Also on our property is a stone gravity bridge reported to have been built under the supervision of Benjamin Franklin as part of his Fort Allen construction. I have been unable to find any history about the bridge, the inn, or even a map of the old Continental Road through Carbon County, Pennsylvania. Does anybody know of any sources where I can tell if any of the tales are true or not?

If I find anything in our search I will post pictures here. I also plan on digging up a small unnatural mound I once found as a boy on the side of our mountain a couple hundred yards from that old bridge. I have always wanted to dig it up to see what was there. 40 years later I am finally getting around to it.

Also, any tips on metal detecting?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Pocono Joe

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks Tubecity for the update and link. I have seen that link and the 1875 maps already during my internet search. Although the property is in now in Lower Towamensing Twsp, the map from 1875 for “Lower” is just short of our land. And the map of Towamensing Twsp doesn’t work.

I just ordered a better metal detector for myself (daughter’s is a cheap one).

We also have some of the 1737 Walking Purchase route near my home (different location than our land in Carbon County) which should give us some additional areas to hunt, and I have found some arrowheads already in the route many years ago along the Lehigh River near the old NJ Zinc Company. I found the route map for the Walking Purchase during my internet search recently (forgot to add it to my favorites), just have to somehow find it again... through Northampton and Carbon Counties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread