help select the right tool

giuhalftrack

Jul 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
BFO's (DIY), Tesoro Silver, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm writing from Italy and I like to prospect for gold in the Ticino river that goes from the swiss alps to the "padana" plain.

In this river (in all the plain) we have a deposit of gold made by flat flakes of gold that range from 3mm to very fine powder, the distinctive character is that are flat flakes, no nuggets or any other shapes.

I use to prospect the river with a keene sluice, but I have 2 problems:

1 - sometimes there is no current flow in the good spots
2- this area is a park that extends all the river long, I have the permit but the laws prohibit to use mechanical equipment so I cannot use an high banker with a pump.

I was thinking to build a gold cradle (a rocker) did you have some experience with this machine ??

Upvote 3
Hi I'm writing from Italy and I like to prospect for gold in the Ticino river that goes from the swiss alps to the "padana" plain.

In this river (in all the plain) we have a deposit of gold made by flat flakes of gold that range from 3mm to very fine powder, the distinctive character is that are flat flakes, no nuggets or any other shapes.

2- this area is a park that extends all the river long, I have the permit but the laws prohibit to use mechanical equipment so I cannot use an high banker with a pump.

I was thinking to build a gold cradle (a rocker) did you have some experience with this machine ??

Try a "rocker pan" design like this one. This one isn't made any longer by the manufacturer that I bought it from, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make something similar. You don't need moving water at all.
1660903025492.jpeg

If you can't even use a 12vdc electric bilge pump and no water flow, then a good old rocker box with a loose canvass apron might be your only choice...

Would a gravity fed hose to a header box (think highbanker) be allowed under the rules? You wouldn't need much of a vertical drop as you are looking for volume of water not pressure. A 2' drop over say 50' in a light weight flexible 3" hose could work.

Would a gravity fed hose to a header box (think highbanker) be allowed under the rules? You wouldn't need much of a vertical drop as you are looking for volume of water not pressure. A 2' drop over say 50' in a light weight flexible 3" hose could work.
The law prohibits mechanical tools so I think pump of any kind will fall in this category, unfortunately the laws here have many shades of grey...

If you can't even use a 12vdc electric bilge pump and no water flow, then a good old rocker box with a loose canvass apron might be your only choice...
cannot find the video of the rocker on your channel can you provide a direct link to it

Do this search on this forum as follows: "rocker box/gold cradle". Lots of good info and.... Post #9 has a link for plans for a river rocker.

Good luck.

You can build a small dam across the waterway with local rocks and have your self a small pond if allowed.

The law prohibits mechanical tools so I think pump of any kind will fall in this category, unfortunately the laws here have many shades of grey...
Since there is no pump, no mechanics of any kind, it shouldn't be a problem. Just place a hose up stream and siphon like sucking gas out of a tank

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.16.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 10.16.55 AM.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
Since there is no pump, no mechanics of any kind, it shouldn't be a problem. Just place a hose up stream and siphon like sucking gas out of a tank
interesting idea for some spots :thumbsup:

You can build a small dam across the waterway with local rocks and have your self a small pond if allowed.
yes in certain spots i can but I'm now focused on dead branches of the river

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back