Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the weather in sunny So Cal has improved. During the past few months the temps have been in the mid to upper 70s which kept most people bundled in front of the telly :) Now that winter has moved on and people are flocking to the local beaches , I find my self working them a lot more. Getting close to the wet sand is causing all kinds of problems for the MDs.

So which of the Sharks is a better machine for salty sand and water? The Tiger or the Sand ? Can either be repurposed in the dry sand just as effectively? Are there any benefits switching to a Pulse machine over a VLF machine? Dose anybody own either of these machines and whats it like living with either of these guys? Any opinions and thoughts about salt water detectors (other brands too) :dontknow:would be appreciated!
Thank you!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a Tigershark and live near a lot of fresh water lakes and only vacation occasionally at a salt water beach... If I lived close to the ocean I would have a sand shark...the tiger shark is also my go to machine for coins on soggy ground in the rain! It is more versatile for my type of hunting! Owning several tesoro machines, the disc circuitry is familiar as are the sounds and thus no real learning to be finding good crud! I understand that the sand shark doesn't work well in fresh water! While I know the Tigershark is usable in the salt water I have tried. Either way you will have a quality detector! You need to get out more in winter down there, we are happy with weather like that in July!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sand Shark works well EVERYWHERE but, it does not discriminate (so it sucks in dry sand because it beeps on EVERYTHING). The Tiger Shark is a FRESHWATER machine that loses depth and sensitivity in Saltwater and on wet saltwater sand. If you are working wet saltwater sand, and in saltwater, you want a SAND Shark (PI), or a multi-frequency VLF machine like the Minelab Excalibur or Fisher CZ 21.

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
The tiger is good in the gulf, I never had a problem with it, i do have a sea hunter which I love, this machine is a straight foreword machine and it's deep ,

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tigershark doesn't have to discriminate and can be made to beep on everything in all metal giving greater depth if that is you desire! Like all detectors, there are pluses and minuses... My decisions again are based on the likelihood of using a detector enough to warrant my getting the best one for a particular job and it's overall versatility! The Tigershark can hunt salt and fresh water with discrimination could even be used in all metal as a backup when nugget shooting...I make a similar argument for my Tejon, not as good as lobo for gold that I will rarely go for, but the depth and duel disc is real nice to have for coins and jewelry... Will work in dry sand as backup to TS as well!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once again, the TIGER Shark is a single-frequency VLF machine designed to be used in Freshwater. Like ANY single-frequency VLF machine, it loses depth and stability in saltwater and on wet saltwater sand. YES, it can be used on wet saltwater beaches, but it is not as deep or sensitive as the SAND Shark is in a saltwater enviroment.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Terry, the first thing out of my mouth clarified that...

tiderider

Oct 10, 2013
I would like to add the sand shark to my collection , tiger shark at fresh water hunting is awesome , several years ago I found a small gold chain with it, I love my tiger shark , awesome machine !!!

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will the Tiger be stable in the salt/sand or will it chatter and how much depth will it lose? Also which is better for smaller targets?
Thank you !!!!!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must open into the battery compartment and adjust for chatter on some beaches... Mine did not chatter and was operated at the internal factory setting at Cannon Beach in Oregon ... I found no signals in the wet other than some rusty iron, and crusty coins in early spring before people were venturing into the water that season... The dry produced a couple dollars in clad and some cheap jewelry that was recently lost... On land in the rain I have found a dime at 7 inches...8" coil...it had a strong repeatable signal! But like Terry said: the Sand shark is best for the Ocean...
You might also consider the Garrett Infinium .... It has Pi with Disc... Used for gold too!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your doing salt, you want the Sand Shark, not the tiger.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok then the Sand it is , will post when it comes!

jtindover

May 8, 2012
Dover , DE
Detector(s) used
minelab Equinox 600,Minelab Excalibur 2, White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre 8", Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Sand Shark! The Shark loves gold and silver rings! It excels in the water! I have found most of my rings in the water. A few in the wet sand. It is awful in dry sand because it has no discrim and will hit on the tiniest metal, iron etc. I don't mind packing two machines for the beach. If you don't want to spend excalibur money you can't go wrong with the SandShark!

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently its coming tomorrow for Fathers Day!!!!
We always search in all-metal when on the beach so digging every signal is not a problem. If you ask me , as the guy in the movie Aliens said , " it's the only way to be sure " !

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Enjoy the SS. Let us know how it works out for you.
Apparently its coming tomorrow for Fathers Day!!!!
We always search in all-metal when on the beach so digging every signal is not a problem. If you ask me , as the guy in the movie Aliens said , " it's the only way to be sure " !

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one more day, its sitting in box by the front door! It's calling my name and taunting me every time I walk by!
Can't wait till Monday, thats when the crowds will be lite , most of the kids in my area are still in school . I've been checking the tides and the lowest times are very early. I can hear the clock ticking away.

OP
OP
Hobojo

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok its out of the box, Photo's
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I want one!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
GL and HH Hobo. Taking mine to the beach at sunrise tomorrow...

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
I am debating the SS myself. Either that or I pay almost 3x and get an Excal II. The SS users seem to be very happy. Best of luck with your new machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread