Help? Ship Wreck Google Earth

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
I have been observing for about six months now. I have gotten alot out of the site. I came across this while on google earth. I used a vehicle at the same height to measure the ship. It is approx. 150 long. I check the USCG charts and it has been sounded by them and marked as an obstruction. What I need is some information on the restrictions that are on the charts they send me to the legend but then that sends me somewhere else. The wreck is off the coast of a National SeaShore Area and Federal Land. I know it has not been check out from the beach because the area can not be accessed. I would like to dive the wreck from the water approach but don't want to be arrested. are there any Laws that prevent me from diving the wreck if i approach it from the water. Also can any one make out weather the hull is metal are wood.

Thank You

Attachments

• ship2.JPG
    ship2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 6,823
OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
Update
Contacted the National Seashore Folks and even though the USCG charts show the area a National Seashore they said it was not, but was under the control of the DOD. Oh Great Trying to get a answer out of them will prolly take a few years. But I will try any who.

Marco

OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
Don

Not necessarily my area. But I did serve 10 years active duty. So I am familiar with the DOD. I did contact NASP as a starting point just because I can actually drive and talk to them face to face. The guy I am suppose to talk to is gone for the day. So I will have to contact him in a day or two.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marco Marco said:
I have been observing for about six months now. I have gotten alot out of the site. I came across this while on google earth. I used a vehicle at the same height to measure the ship. It is approx. 150 long. I check the USCG charts and it has been sounded by them and marked as an obstruction. What I need is some information on the restrictions that are on the charts they send me to the legend but then that sends me somewhere else. The wreck is off the coast of a National SeaShore Area and Federal Land. I know it has not been check out from the beach because the area can not be accessed. I would like to dive the wreck from the water approach but don't want to be arrested. are there any Laws that prevent me from diving the wreck if i approach it from the water. Also can any one make out weather the hull is metal are wood.

Thank You

I know exactly where that is, I cannot see any reason why you cannot approach it from the water. It is a DOD owned wildlife management area, and I'm not so sure that you cannot access it by foot, either, but I'll take your word for it. There is a forum member who will know everything about it, I'll pm you his name. PS, there's another one, about a mile east of there, much smaller but obvious...its in front of an obvious landmark.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah just go ask the park if they will let you dive it or not. Be up front about it. I think there is a metal hulled steamer they let people dive on if they want at a national seashore in California.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to change the subject, but how do you paste a Google Earth image?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just hit the "print screen" button on my keyboard, paste the image into the 'Paint' program and save it as a .jpg file

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I posted the pic of this wreck a couple of years ago. Since it is directly offshore from the restricted Eglin AFB tracking station, I sent a couple of letters to the command responsible for base security.

I was told in no uncertain terms that if I approached the area within 500 feet from shore, I would risk seizure of my vessel, arrest, and a hefty fine. The funny thing is that I have cobia-fished directly off the beach from this site without a problem many times over the years (prior to 9-11).

There are some other cool inshore wrecks I know of in Pensacola Bay if you ever want to check them out.

Pcolaboy

OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
Update:
I spoke to the DOD today. They told me there were no reasons why I could not dive the site. They said that in fact the DOD only owns the beach down to the High Median Tide. They said that they do have authority to restrict the area for special purposes such as certain training events. They said that this is rarley done, but when they do they post vessels in the area to keep civilians out of the area. they even mentioned to me about how they see all the boats fishing in the area. Thank you guys for all the responses. Now knowing all that I would still get some type of memorandum from them giving me their go ahead.

OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
I did not know about that find. I am aware of the Pensacola Bay wrecks, and the one they are working in Black Water River. In fact my brother was on a dive team back in the mid 80's when they started diving the bay wrecks. I would love more info on the find in the Perdido Key area.

OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
Wow I have not been to the T.T. Wentworth since it moved to the Down Town Location. You know wentworth opened that on Old Palafox Street in his home and just continued to add on. I will have to get down town and check it out. Thanks.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I strongly suggest getting something in writing about diving the wreck off the tracking site. It was 2 years ago that I received the warning about coming within 500 feet from the shoreline.

If you want a dive buddy to go along - just let me know! I have a Brownie Hookah rig available that will support 3 divers. Since we're talking only 3-4 feet of depth, it'll be just a matter of how long you want to be in the water.

Here's a link to my original post that has my favorite angle shot of the wreck.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,118889.msg1311950.html#msg1311950

OP
OP
Marco Marco

Marco Marco

Greenie
Jan 12, 2009
Perdido Key, FL
Hey Thanks for the dive buddy invite. Yea after looking at the charts I figure the deepest point would be around 5 feet. What is known about this Wreck. Does any one have any info on it. Just curious. Yea and I would for sure get something in writing.

Marco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions