Help!! This 1966 is all wrong!!

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
So I pull this from a Brinks box and first thing I notice is that this beautiful 66 Kennedy doesn't sound right upon clanking. It sounds like a magician coin but doesn't have a seam on the reverse. I give it to my fiancé and she takes a knife to the edge and pulls back the silver clad like tin foil... What The Flippy Cup!!! It looks all weird under the clad too.

image-2994727539.jpg

What's the deal on this thing?

Upvote 0

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Any time you find something unusual about a coin and you don't know what's going on, you should probably do some research before screwing with it. I think that's pretty much good, standard, across-the-board advice that applies for lots of things, not just coins.

Not my $100 that was thrown away, and I don't collect errors, so I don't really care, I just find it sad that someone would default to attempting to damage something rather than researching more into it first.

Suffice to say, I think the OP has learned a lesson...

You completely missed my whole point.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I'm a moron too, I got one like this quite along time ago. It isn't fake. But I thought it was. I broke the plate off it. Still have it even though I sold all my other silver. Give the guy a break, How was he supposed to know? I remember when this room(and the people in it) were gracious and helpful. Not hateful and spiteful like this. You wonder why most of the old regulars stop posting here. Get over yourselves.

I've been through several "hobbies" where once it becomes popular enough, it becomes an entire s***show. New people enter and are just looking to be a part of something/make a quick buck/ be cool before the next thing. These people don't bother to do the research or follow the basic guidelines of how to act (not necessarily the OP, just an observation). It draws negative attention to the hobby or creates ill will. The people who have been in the hobby long enough get frustrated with all the stupidity and leave/rage at the new people.

Now that silver is high in value and there is some popularity attached to it (Pawn Stars, the new book, reddit, etc), a lot of people who really don't know what they're doing have wandered into the hobby. That's why you see a lot of threads that could easily be answered by the FAQ being posted in the last year.

I'm not a crotchety old man that wants the kids off my lawn, I'm happy to have people share hobbies, because they aren't worth a damn if they aren't appreciated and shared. But if I'm new to something, I lay back, observe, and then participate. A lot of people don't.

OP
OP
Swade2K

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
It is a lamination error. However, I found 2 magicians coins in the same batch and had good reason to believe it was one as well. It sounds exactly the same. Is all lost as far as a premium goes because we pulled back the clad?

OP
OP
Swade2K

Swade2K

Aug 4, 2012
And also, I don't think this coin would bring a 100 dollar premium. The error was not visible before the knife popped the edge up. In a graded slab it would have looked no different than a normal 1966. Only difference was internal. Not a good adhesion or something.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I remember when this room(and the people in it) were gracious and helpful. Not hateful and spiteful like this. You wonder why most of the old regulars stop posting here. Get over yourselves.

I perked up once I saw an "old timer" post, then realized what he walked into. This place is depressing.

Catcake

Oct 19, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding... That coin may not grade very high anymore. Some of these members certainly don't grade high anymore either.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
even with the damage, I would take it to a coin show and have it looked at. You never know. Someone might give you something for it. Anything over 50 cents is profit to me. And I would have done the same thing to the coin. Humans by nature are curious things. Its like getting a old computer and instead of taking it to a scrap dealer for them to take it apart, you take it apart yourself out of curiousity. odd? Probably but that's what makes humans such wonderful creatures. Hope you find out more about the coin.

Hugs and Silver for everyone,
Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions