Help to identify these rocks please

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... so happy I've found this site, what a great place and so much information!

Hoping someone can help identify these rocks. I bought an old shoe box full of rocks at a yard sale a little while back. The seller thought they were turquoise but I honestly have no clue... I took most of the pictures of them simply wet from water to bring out the color better. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

t8.jpg t9.jpg t10.jpg t11.jpg t12.jpg t13.jpg t14.jpg

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would guess copper related minerals, maybe with quartz.
The copper related minerals may be several things; for example chrysocolla.
Also Cuprite could be in there somewhere.

Either way nice stuff. Would look good when cut into cabochons.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
my thought was turquoise also. if so, you have a real treasure on your hand. those are beautiful pieces

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ivybridge

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the suggestions! I took a few more photos, these show the insides of a couple pieces. Any way to care for these or should I simply put them back in the shoe box? I'd love to have some cabochons made someday but have over 6 pounds and would hate to somehow damage the pieces.

t16.jpg t17.jpg t18.jpg

Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chrysocolla( a copper silicate) and turquoise. Lick your finger and put it against the green or blue area of your rocks(one lick per rock). If there is some stickiness, it contains copper. Old timers used to just lick the rock, but that's kind of gross. Now put the colored part of that rock against your cheek. Some will feel COLD. That's how to tell real vs. fake turquoise. Those are cool finds and more than likely are from Arizona where they are quite common. Could be from most anywhere in the SW. Course, those places don't have diamonds like Arkansas does.You done good girl, And we're glad you found this site too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ivybridge

Ivybridge

Sep 6, 2012
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chisos... there is stickiness but not sure how much of a temp difference there should be since it all feels cold to me. I've always liked rocks but never took the time to do more than simply "like" them. I never knew there was so many variations of turquoise and I've been reading so much since acquiring these, it's all simply fascinating.

I've lived in Arkansas since 1993 and have always wanted to go dig for diamonds but never made the trip.... maybe I can do that this fall. :)

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Arizona has produced some material similar to yours. Not sure though.
It was a wild mixture of copper related mineral. I think it went under the trade name "Sonoran Sunset".

I've seen some cabbs - very nice stuff.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Care.. I would not leave these types of roack (or any other for that matter) in the sun light.. Nor would I wash these to often.. Not sure but some of these images could be that close to "chalk turquoise" and can be very brittle.. Although one can display your best samples.. the rest can be placed in small containers like tackle boxes.. or in my case.. plastic coffee cantainers.. if you ever run across opal.. (thats untreated) best make sure you have it in a tight container submerged in water.. Otherwise your doing fine.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread