Help...trying to decide on a new detector!!!!!!1

nickmathews82

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2013
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone I'm new to the sight and have a close buddy of mine on here also. I am looking into purchasing a new detector. I currently have a Garrett Ace 250 and have had quite a bit of success with it, but want to upgrade. I am looking at the Garrett AT Pro or the Minelab X-Terra 505. I have talked to a few different sources and there opinion vary. If anybody can give me some personal experience with either machine and what they like or dislike, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try a used Safari. Same multifreq technology of Etrac without as many bells and whistles. I know that wasn't one of your considerations but feel it is a much better machine IMO.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's your budget? The ATP and 505 are both really great machines. If you get the Garrett you'll have the iPhone of metal detectors- everybody seems to have one. But there's nothing wrong with that, and it will do exactly what's its built to do.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Nick! I've used both, they both work well. In my opinion, the AT Pro goes a little deeper, and the waterproof capability is a great feature.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Something else to consider is the type of hunting you want to do, I plan on doing all types of detecting eventually. And older gentleman I know who's been detecting longer than I've been alive (started as a " sweeper" in Korea) recommended I start out coin shooting and parks and such until I learned my detector well.

I bought an MD that would let me start out coinshooting, that I could use at the beach, then for relics at some point. Pretty much a jack of all trades but not really a master of any- and of course I can't use it submerged. The ATP would be a great jack of all trades as well, and it's waterproof down to 10 feet.

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been considering both of those machines as well and decided I'm gonna go with the Pro being waterproof with the DD coil... good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread