HELP USING MY DETECTOR TO FIND COINS/RELICS ECT...NOT TRASH AND PULL TABS..HAHA

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i do a lot of marine fossil hunting for Sharks Teeth and have for some time, i also have a great Indian point/arrowhead collection. I felt it was also time to add to my display areas by finding coins, relics and anything of historical value. Of course i don't mind finding gold rings ect either..lol

so with that said i purchased a used bounty hunter tracker IV just to get started for 30.00 off of Craigslist. seems to work fine. If anyone has any tips let me know. here is a brief description of my current settings on the mentioned detector above. i will be upgrading soon to a Garret or a fisher but for now i just need to get in the game.

i turn the sensitivity knob to about 3 o'clock. i use it in tones mode and set the disc at about 11-12 o'clock. i have had no problem finding metal, just nothing substantial, a few coins (nothing that old), tin cans and pull tabs.

any help would be appreciated.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well this bites...I was 90% through my answer and it went bye-bye.

Okay as far as discrimination...if you want to eliminate pull tabs you'll need to set you discrimination to eliminate them. Do a bench test, wave a couple of different types of pull tabs across the coil and crank up the discrimination until they no longer beep. The bad part of this is you won't find nickels and you've eliminated your chance of finding most gold.

Can slaw is tough to eliminate as it goes into the coin range on my machine.

Personally I've got my machine set to eliminate iron and foil, and pretty much dig everything else. Yes, I do dig a ton of trash, but I've also got three pieces of gold jewelry this year to show for it. Not bad when I'm not detecting beaches.

As in real estate it's location, location, location. If you want relics then you've got to go to old properties. Beaches offer you your best chance at jewelry, but in some areas the competition is fierce. Sometimes a site just doesn't have that one goodie you are looking for. My home was built in '23 and I've yet to find the first silver coin in the yard. But I have found original house keys and 100 year old make-up containers.

I have found that as I take the trash out of an area, I find more goodies on subsequent hunts. This is especially true once the old halo fades.

Perhaps the most important advice is to get out as much as possible and hunt hunt, hunt. As you learn your machine and the areas where you are searching, you'll be more successful...and that trumps lucky 98/100 times.

OP
OP
OUTCOME1

OUTCOME1

Oct 22, 2012
Hanover, VA
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 w/dd coil...teknetics pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey man, thanks!!! appreciate you taking the time to share. i did a short bench test in "tones" mode and adjusted a little before i took it out the first time, i hear one of the two tones (low for nickels, pull tabs,iron or whatever, and the high tone for mainly coins..............i still get high tones for a few pull tabs and high tones for cans under the ground.??????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread