Help Wanted

lira100

Greenie
May 21, 2010
Dear friends,regards from Kastoria,NW Greece.
I have the following problem and any help would be welcome.
I am after a treasure that was buried in 1946 in the mountains here during the civil war. It is consisted of 1500 gold coins put in
an iron box 10x15x20 in. the kind they used to carry ammunition. They also put two grenades in it-not a trap.It was buried in a hole already made by a bomb in the battlefield in about 3 feet perhaps 4 feet the most. The son of one of the survivors took me there to help him find the treasure with the help of my L-rods but it is useless because I get conflicting, contradictory or no readings at all. Since we have identified the area and it is not larger than two football fields I decided to get a metal detector to search every square foot of it. I know that most detectors are good for coin hunting etc. but I do not know which one to get for this case considering size and depth.Please suggest an inexpensive and reliable enough because I do not have much to spend being unemployed for the last one and a half years.
Thanks in advance
Mike

XT18000

May 26, 2008
I think the best thing to use in this case would be a two box type detector if you
can find one in your area or perhaps someone in your area that has one and would
be willing to come to you and try and locate the box for you. You may have to give
them a percent of the find but that would be better than no find at all.

Happy Hunting
&
Good Luck

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Magnetometer. Sometimes called a 2-box detector. Used for finding deeper objects, or for detecting anomolies in the earth's magnetic field.

CAUTION: It will locate old munitions as well, some of which may not have exploded upon impact!

M

miser

Tuberale said:
Magnetometer. Sometimes called a 2-box detector. Used for finding deeper objects, or for detecting anomolies in the earth's magnetic field.

CAUTION: It will locate old munitions as well, some of which may not have exploded upon impact!

Yes, be very careful. That thing could be boobytrapped. Remember, explosives don't really detriorate, they only become more unstable.

More than one relic hunter has found the cannonball they took home and set by the fireplace to dry out exploded sending shrapnel everywhere.

Be careful please!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
miser said:
Tuberale said:

Yes, be very careful. That thing could be boobytrapped. Remember, explosives don't really detriorate, they only become more unstable.

More than one relic hunter has found the cannonball they took home and set by the fireplace to dry out exploded sending shrapnel everywhere.

Be careful please!
Thus the original "Lost Mine" legends that go "BOOM". Way too many lost land mines IMO.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Like "Connecticut Sam" said, save up for a Two-Box detector. Walk the whole area where you think it is buried. Mark the auspicious spots (high spots,low spots,next to large rocks, between large rocks, other outstanding landmarks.) Take good digging tools and get to work! Joe

OP
OP
L

lira100

Greenie
May 21, 2010
Thanks a lot my friends, I appreciate your help. I will soon let you all know what happens. I am grateful you all share your knowledge especially with a foreigner.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:

Magnetometer / two box = two different animals. If you can afford or locate larger coils for your detector go that route. If not try looking at shops like Kellyco. Run a wanted ad on sites like craigslist to see if anyone has a two box or big coils for your machine. You might be surprised what you can pickup for next to nothing.

The first concern is digging in the area where there's unexploded ordinance. I'm sure we've all heard the stories like the guy that brought home a civil war cannonball, and started chipping off the rust, and ended up being a new pattern on the wall paper ::)

Safety first!

OP
OP
L

lira100

Greenie
May 21, 2010
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate your help and your concern. Until now we have not been successful. All summer, we went there more than ten times and scanned the area with a Garrett GTI 2500 but nothing. It seems it is much more difficult than we first thought or the treasure has been found a long time ago.In the next couple of months we will go again a few times to recheck because somebody told me that the detectors scan deeper when the ground is wet. We will see.

OP
OP
L

lira100

Greenie
May 21, 2010
Nope,nothing yet. We are searching the area very carefully and we have expanded our interest in the surrounding fields as well in case we are wrong about the exact spot since it s been about 65 years since then. We are thinking about a LRL now to make things a little easier but some people say it is a waste of money.Another problem that we face is that it has not rained for months and the ground is like cement.
Thanks a lot for your continuing interest, I will let you know either way.

K

Kentucky Kache

What size coil is on your detector? Depending on the quality of your detector, a small coil will sometimes reach only a few inches down.

OP
OP
L

lira100

Greenie
May 21, 2010
We have the Garrett 2500 with the 12.5'' coil.We consider it a very decent piece of equipment and we believe that we will find the treasure once we get above it. As I said before we face other problems such as dry soil, very rocky area,lots of bushes etc. Anyway, we will know soon as we are almost done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread