Help! Where should i go?

acre123

Jul 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
California. They are going to LOVE you in California! :hello:

All are correct. But if you want US silver, (or the ever sought after gold) coins, you must venture inland. This usually means restrictions and permits. Also, if you hope to find very old copper coins, the upper east coast is best.
Very good luck...
Peace

Arizona! They're going to love you in Arizona!:laughing7:
Also Florida!:laughing7:

Last edited:
North America has alot of Revolutionary war, civil war, french indian war artifacts. haven't had too many problems at all

... This usually means restrictions and permits....

Very few "permits" are ever dreamed up, by any locale, for metal detecting. For example: In the entire state of CA (just using that as an example), I can count on one hand the # of cities (2 or 3?) and counties (1?) that dreamed up such a thing. Thus, no, you can go in asking if they have "permits" in various cities and counties till you're blue in the face, and will usually just get a blank confused stare, in return.

Now as far as "restrictions", it depends on what you mean. If you mean restriction on metal detecting (as a specific), then no, even there you'll find very few at the city and county level (and even state levels, believe it or not), that have something that truly specifically said "no metal detecting". On state park levels, sure, probably something about "cultural heritage" blah blah, but not often that it gets specific enough to say "no metal detecting". And at city levels, rarely any cities that truly had that in those words.

But if you meant "restrictions" with verbage about "defacing", "altering", "digging", "removing", etc..., then sure, if you think those things preclude detecting, then you might as well stay at home. Because I gaurantee you verbage like that exists on every speck of public land. HOWEVER, reasonable people KNOW those refer to the end result. I mean, so long as you leave no trace, then you haven't alterED or defacED anything. And let's be serious: the "remove" or "harvest" or "take" verbage was never meant to apply to md'rs. Those are so that no numbskull thinks he can take home park benches, cut down tree limbs for fire wood, etc... Hence, no, if there weren't a specific rule that truly said "no metal detecting", then I do not take the other stuff to necessarily apply. Just steer clear (low traffic times) when busy-body who might gripe are present.

The south in general is a beautiful and diverse place. You could tour the south and camp along the way.

I think you'll do well in more rural areas , small towns - do a little internet research on the areas you are traveling in - talk to
older folks - tell them about your interest in their town, perhaps you can even get the occasional permission to hunt a yard .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back