HELP! Whites 6000 di/pro losing signal after I dig the hole

goinsrunner95

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HELP! White's 6000 di/pro losing signal after I dig the hole

Occasionally I will get a good signal and dig the hole. But, when I scan the plug and the hole, the signal is gone. Then, when I put the plug back in the hole, the signal is back. Thoughts? I'm wondering if the object is deeper in the hole and for whatever reason my detector doesn't read properly when the coil is down in the hole below ground level. Can someone help me with this? BTW, I do not have a pinpointer at this time. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm... Puzzling, huh!? Make sure all connections on your detector are secure. Are you wearing steel-toed shoes? Any metal on your shoes? It could be a hot rock? Mineralized ground? Is your ground balance okay? Maybe someone with more experience with sort of stuff can help... Good luck- Don't give up-
Don
Hey- You should get a pinpointer asap. Makes things easier fer sure!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Occasionally I will get a good signal and dig the hole. But, when I scan the plug and the hole, the signal is gone. Then, when I put the plug back in the hole, the signal is back. Thoughts? I'm wondering if the object is deeper in the hole and for whatever reason my detector doesn't read properly when the coil is down in the hole below ground level. Can someone help me with this? BTW, I do not have a pinpointer at this time. Thanks!

If you're re-scanning while still in GEB disc. mode, make sure you're swinging fast (or waving the plug past the coil fast). Or .... have you tried just pulling the trigger and going into all-metal mode while pinpointing ?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a pretty common problem with many different detectors. When you remove the plug, you're also removing the halo and conductivity of the signal. Some machines don't air test as well as ground test. When you get a good signal that disappears, just dig down a few more inches and see what you find. A good pin pointer helps with this too.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a pretty common problem with many different detectors. When you remove the plug, you're also removing the halo and conductivity of the signal. Some machines don't air test as well as ground test. When you get a good signal that disappears, just dig down a few more inches and see what you find. A good pin pointer helps with this too.

Yes you absolutely need a pinpointer! And. I have seen this phenomenon many times where a trashy object will sound off as good until you dig it and destroy it's halo effects. Once dug and located with my pinpointer, I lay the trash on the ground and the detector will discriminate it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread