Help wiring headphones for Etrac

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
My stock Koss 30's broke yesterday at the jack. I bought a new 1/4 inch jack today at radio shack. I am having a devil of a time wiring it correctly. Wired and re-soldered 3 times already. Results were one ear live, the other ear live, and nothing. Red, White, Black. Which wire goes to the ground (casing)?

Thanks!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yes I am sorry about that.
It's happened to me before.
Can I suggest something?

Look up your local electronics guy in town he will do it for less than 10 bucks.
It's well worth the frustration you will endure.

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
open ear cup there is three screw under soft padding and look what wire for., but you will have in future problem with ware too in other place its very bad quality, change all.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you're having problems. My stock Koss also broke shortly after using the e-trac (Cheap Crap) so went to radio shack and they also installed a new heavy duty connector, cost complete $19.00 it was well worth the money. :icon_thumleft:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to assume that you are actually replacing the plug on the headphones, the jack would be on the detector.

I would contact the maker and ask for the wiring/colors. They should give you them, by identifying the Tip, Ring, and Sleeve of the stereo plug. Tip is the end, ring middle and sleeve inner. By the way be sure to insulate the connections, with heat shrink if possible, and maybe clean with flux /pcboard cleaner.

Ed D.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thought. If you still have the pug and can strip it back to isolate each wire you can check with an Ohm meter to get the wiring. Just write down the colors for TSR see above post.

I hope this helps.

ed d.

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Mine broke this week and they are guaranteed for life. Sending them back with $6 return postage and they should be fixing them.
One you have completed registration, you may send your warranty items to our Corporation and we will repair or replace them in accordance with our Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Our address is:
Koss Corporation
Attn: Warranty Return
4129 N. Port Washington Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53212

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread