Help with access points, Uwharrie national forest, NC

theblacksnake

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been stalking the forums for quite sometime and gained alot of valuable info from you guys.

planning on doing some prospecting at the uwharrie, and not sure of access points. only one i seem to find is the bridge where 109 crosses the river.
theres a trail there that crosses 2 different creeks, but i was wanting to get a little farther out from where everyone else goes to just causally dig around.
i figured i could park there, and hike over to moccasin creek? or just hike awhile down/up stream some and pan the river.
any suggestions/ info on this would be much appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Upvote 0

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went to Uwharrie a few year ago. We found a campground and stayed a few days. It was a really interesting place. I worked a deep spot in a creek and spent a day with a large tarantula watching me the whole time. The snakes are aggressive this time of year so you have to watch out.

OP
OP
T

theblacksnake

Feb 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never been there, any specifics on where you went? This would be a day trip for me not planning on camping as im only an hour and half from uwharrrie

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be cautious, as there are numerous conservation groups that "own" conservation set asides on terra firma. The National Forest part of the deal is simple... they don't own or control most of the "National Forest", they pretend they do, but don't. Most of the area is privately owned. Navigated years ago from Morrow Mountain State Park, just across the Pee Dee River. It's probably they easiest, if you have a kayak. If you stay in the stream, no problem... you may be trespassing on private property if you get on dry land. Easier than walking and you will not be near the others that access the Uwharrie from the road crossings or trails.

Try this government link for the map. https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3902u.ct009739/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread