Help with an ID

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather finally cooled off enough for me to get out for a few hours. I went to my local honey hole and decided to hunt an area that I haven't spent much time at since my usual area is still covered in overgrown brush and thorns. This spot has produced a lot of stuff from the early 1800s to late 1800s. My first target was a 1879 Indian with very fine detail that was somewhat less toasted than the usual indians I find here. A few targets later I found this ornate brooch, clip thing, or whatever it is. It says PAT.APLD.FOR stamped on the back which to my knowledge was used before "Patent Pending" which started around 1900. Does anyone know what this object is or what it might've been used for? Another find that was interesting was this tiny broken piece that has writing like a coin. I almost threw it into my trash bag until I saw just enough of one of the letters as the dirt brushed away.

WifaW5n.jpg

nHzP7Vk.jpg

SM5yMm8.jpg

u8vNUWu.jpg

Upvote 8

Kmatch7

Mar 24, 2013
New jersey
Detector(s) used
At pro
Bounty hunter quick draw
Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with money clip but looks pretty old for a money clip not sure when they originated. I’m sure a quick google search could help

OP
OP
G

gusnuts

Mar 10, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO, PRO-POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with money clip but looks pretty old for a money clip not sure when they originated. I’m sure a quick google search could help

It does kind of look like a money clip but the bend seems too wide. I also couldn’t find out when money clips were first used.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I tried to think of something else other than a money clip but no luck.Congrats.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Size makes me think it may be a napkin holder.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one or more parts may rotate or pivot. Can you verify if that's true or not?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread