Help with an unusual rock

AdiBhos

May 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this rock in river, was astonished to see some bubble like texture on it. Need help in identifying it 6E5B3086-50FF-4C32-A884-BFFD86EB3551.jpeg

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Ace Apex;
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That could have formed as clumps of tiny crystals, that got polished smooth in the river.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that is a cool looking rock.....:occasion14:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I saw something in the image...kinda creepy.

bubble rocka.jpg

Still cool...but creepy. spider-0173.gif

OP
OP
A

AdiBhos

May 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
Other
That could have formed as clumps of tiny crystals, that got polished smooth in the river.

I have collected many crystals but this one doesn’t have the exact characteristic of a anything near a crystal. Also I checked it under a microscope to find that the surface wasn’t like a polished rock rather it has a froth like texture. :dontknow:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks similar to pieces of slag I see here in the mining country, but wrong color.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pretty. I think you have a piece of 'botryoidal' quartz... probably as the variety 'chalcedony':

Botryoidal Quartz (Chalcedony).jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Very pretty. I think you have a piece of 'botryoidal' quartz... probably as the variety 'chalcedony':

View attachment 1925293

We have a winner here. Red beat me to it. I used to find this frequently decades ago when I lived in the Mojave Desert of California. Some were absolutely beautiful specimens of snow white quartz. Others were a dull, boring grey. Very rarely anything else.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread