Help with antique holographic religious picture

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I really only like to buy things I know I can make money on, but this was a flyer for me. After looking on ebay, I don't think I made a bad decision, but need your help to know what to list this as, etc.

I'd also like to know just what the heck this scene is depicting. It's such a weird cacophony of images to me, I just don't get it.

Antique religious wood framed glass holographic backlit religious picture. You've got a crowned angel holding a baby who is wearing an iron cross. She is standing on a crescent moon. Below her, in a row boat on a stormy sea, three individuals. On the left, we have a man with a skull head. In the middle, a black child, on the right a caucasian child. In the background, there is a sinking ship being struck by lightning.

The electric components work, it shows it's age but there is little damage. I paid ten dollars. I figured that it was so kitchy and varied it would appeal to a large audience. It measures 14" x 12".

DSCN0794.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0800.jpg

Thanks!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If this sells, let me know. There is a holographic portrait of Jesus at the local thrift store that I have had my eye on. Been there for months.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Wow, you may make more on the first and third pics you took than the actual item! :)

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
That first pic is with the light backlight of the picture on. The level of detail in this thing is unbelievable. It has a 3d aspect and it seriously looks like the water is about to pour out of the picture. Why the guy with the skullhead?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it would be Mary and not an angel. Also, not an iron cross but probably some variation of a greek style cross on the robe.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's one artists interpretation of Mary depicted in one version of the story, " Our Lady Stella Maris" or Star of the Sea. The cross is an ancient version of a Roman cross. The 6 pointed stars above Mary are the star of David. In one depiction of the story, three men were on a boat, and a storm rose up. Two of the sailors cried out to Mary to protect them, these men were Christians. The other man, who was a Muslim, cried out to Allah for safety and then began to chastise the other sailors of crying out to Mary instead of Allah. As he scolded them, a great wave rose up and tossed him into the sea while the other two survived.

I believe the one man in the boat with the skull head is the Muslim and the other two are Christians. Notice the other 2 seem to be praying.

Here is another depiction with the 4 goldfish representing the 4 apostles-

stella_maris_icon_.jpg

OP
OP
Kevo_DFX

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
The fellas over on the "What is it" forum helped me out. They ID'ed it as "Our Lady of Charity". You can read the full story on the net, bbut there were two brothers out with their slave. All of them were named Juan. A storm rose up. The slave had a virgin Mary pendant on. They prayed, the virgin appeared and protected them. After the storm, a Mary figurine appeared on the water and floated to them They built a church for her.

How would you list this on Ebay? I have seen a few that sold, and some that didn't. But NONE like my picture.

It has ties to Cuba, Catholicism, Santeria, Miami etc....

Kevo

scotbartolo

Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got another one

its a different picture (of jesus at a door in a garden), but its the same company as yours. It has the same frame and white back. I cant find it anywhere, ebay or even a website. They're cool though. yours is really weird.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
antique? to my recollection holograms were invented in the late 1980's by Dr. Colmann. Technology is too new to be a Antique.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
antique? to my recollection holograms were invented in the late 1980's by Dr. Colmann. Technology is too new to be a Antique.
That's funny. I went to a sale advertising many antiques this past wekend. It turns out the ladies 15 year old son wrote the ad. The "antiques" were from the 1970's. :laughing7:
Technically- A true "antique" is supposed to be at least 100 years old to be considered as such. "Vintage" is the word used to best describe anything under that.
I know this is an old post and I don't even know if you still have this picture but is it actually holographic or is it more of a 3D effect, like this one- JESUS KNEELING LIGHTED SHADOWBOX MOVING MOTION PICTURE 3-D VINTAGE IN BOX OLD | eBay

Your picture would appeal to all the Cuban Catholics down here, that's for sure.

scotbartolo

Jul 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeh thats the same company, i thinks its called living arts. i can't find any info on it anywhere

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread