Help with AT Pro

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I went to hunt a 1800 house and all I got was a clad dime and a bunch of aluminum. Everytime and I do mean everytime it rang up with a high number 70 and up all I got was aluminum. I had numbers from 70, 77 even a 99 but all I found was aluminum even found a complete pie pan. I GB'ed it before detecting and had it on coin mode. Any help would be appreciated.

swb

Jun 8, 2012
stephens city va
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not sure Ihave the same problem.it reads high on good stuff and trash and the bell ring's.

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to tell ya this but those are normals numbers for that trash. Try using the custom pro mode and learn to read the tones (tone roll audio). Listen to the audio for those broken chattery tones during the swing (page 18 in the manual). Also remember the actual size of the target ie aluminum slaw vs bigger chunks or whole cans will read with louder stronger tones and higher numbers. It is really a matter of learning the machine and pushing on and digging.

bacusa

Jun 25, 2012
WNC/ETN/SW VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
I went to hunt a 1800 house and all I got was a clad dime and a bunch of aluminum. Everytime and I do mean everytime it rang up with a high number 70 and up all I got was aluminum. I had numbers from 70, 77 even a 99 but all I found was aluminum even found a complete pie pan. I GB'ed it before detecting and had it on coin mode. Any help would be appreciated.

One thing I've learned, and it is an AT Pro skill, when you have a high number hit, push the Iron Audio button on, don't hunt with it on, but use it to "spot check" you number. If it is a good target,with iron audio on, it will sound more normal. If it sounds inconsistent....low-high-low, or chattery, it is a crap target. I did the same thing my AT first couple of times out and got frustrated by digging trash when I thought it was a good target. Watch ALL of the instructional videos made by Garrett on You Tube.
Hope this helps.

P.S. I too started in Coin mode, now I hunt in Pro Zero, with iron discrimination at around 35.
HH,
BC in NC

OP
OP
Frank1960

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Thanks for the help! I was hunting in standard mode like the manual said for beginers with it but will change to pro mode

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it is best to just cover the meter with duct tape and listen to the sounds or upgrade to detectors with enhanced audio.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I'm seem to hear when it comes to aluminum is when you first go over it, even though it's a "good" tone it shrills. It sort of screams at you instead of a nice calm solid tone. Also if you swing over an object and get that shrill, swing higher and higher above the target, If you are still getting the signal a foot or so off the ground, it's usually a can.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the ATPro 95 plus targets in my experience turn out junky. I find 82- 94 is the sweet spot. I have found good targets also when seeing these numbers coupled with lower number on occasion. I have not clad hunted with this machine so not sure what numbers are good for that.

Imo

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On hunts like that slow down and listen for good solid repeatable targets and if possible get a smaller coil. Audio audio audio...

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help! I was hunting in standard mode like the manual said for beginers with it but will change to pro mode
Scrap the standard mode & use pro mode only...also when you hit a signal like that in the future lift detector up 10-12 inches & swing if it still rings its 99% of the time junk!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread