el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An older friend of mine showed me a few of his relics he had found through the years and asked what they were. I thought I would post a couple for all of you to help me with. I know what they are but have a concern about the belt plate in particular.

**Please excuse my terminology as I am not very familiar with the terminology that describes these relics**

I realize the belt plate looks like an 1851 sword belt plate, and obviously the wreath is missing as well as the other side piece, but to me, the stars across the top are not aligned like the stars on many of the plates I've seen online. Also, the arrows are a little different. Thirdly, there is no number on the back (but I guess it could have worn down). These things being said, It is very heavy and well made. It looks to have the correct patina for laying out here in the desert for a long time. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The dog tag is a little different than the others I have seen from these parts and was curious if y'all could help me determine a time frame for it. The name is Luke T. Batley (I believe) and his serial number is 6365170.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/asset.php?fid=827038&uid=63639&d=1404772690

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/asset.php?fid=827039&uid=63639&d=1404772705

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/asset.php?fid=827040&uid=63639&d=1404772719

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/asset.php?fid=827041&uid=63639&d=1404772734

Upvote 2
OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC03223.JPG

DSC03220.JPG

DSC03221.JPG

DSC03222.JPG

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope that worked, obviously not the order I wanted.

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You belt-plate is a US Army Enlisted-men's Model-1851 "eagle-&-wreath" swordbelt plate, which was issued from that year until it was replaced by the Model-1874 version.

There are about two dozen slightly-different varieties of that belt-plate, due to minor variations in the emblem (which you mentioned about this one). The specific variation your friend found is shown in the book "American Military Belt Plates" on page 399, as plate #662. The book says that variety was manufactured only during 1864-65.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
I identified it as the Enlisted-men's version because it had an "applied" nickel-silver wreath, which (obviously) is missing on this plate. The Officer version's wreath was part of the solid-cast brass plate.

Last edited:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The disc is a WW1 dog tag,found one last year.

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You belt-plate is a US Army Enlisted-men's Model-1851 "eagle-&-wreath" swordbelt plate, which was issued from that year until it was replaced by the Model-1874 version.

There are about two dozen varieties, due to minor variations in the emblem (which you mentioned about this one). The specific variation your friend found is shown in the book "American Military Belt Plates" on page 399, as plate #662. The book says that variety was manufactured only during 1864-65.

For anybody here who doesn't already know:
I identified it as the Enlisted-men's version because it had an "applied" nickel-silver wreath, which (obviously) is missing on your this plate. The Officer version's wreath was part of the solid-cast brass plate.

Thank you CannonballGuy, that was very informative. I am excited to tell my buddy.

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the enlisted models come out of the ground in nicer condition, i found one with the silver wreath that was all pitted in the wreath area, your looks to be in very nice shape, very nice find.

OP
OP
E

el remolino

May 26, 2013
West Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the enlisted models come out of the ground in nicer condition, i found one with the silver wreath that was all pitted in the wreath area, your looks to be in very nice shape, very nice find.

Thanks prolab69, being in the desert is the biggest thing. We just simply don't ever get enough moisture to really eat up metal. We typically get a nice patina.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread