Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This mystery button is one of several finds this weekend, but I have no idea of its origin. It is slightly convex, with what appears to be a soldier on the front holding a spear or staff in the right hand, and a sword in the left. It was found at a 1756 home site here in Virginia that I hunt often. It looks like it has words on it, or maybe mostly just a design around the edges, but I can clearly see the letters INA at the bottom. It may just be a civilian button, but I've seen several revolutionary period buttons with a similar design, but not quite the same. Any help with this button would appreciated. Thanks for looking.

soldier front.jpg soldier back.jpg

OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That helps! The whole thing reads Republica De Colombia Marina.
I kept seeing that as Maxina, and got nowhere of course.
This button seems to match what's talked about here: https://books.google.com/books?id=z...age&q=1820's columbian marines button&f=false

Definitely an "INA" down there, as we all can agree. It's not a stretch for me to see MARINA as Dug mentions; and the mention of the button in the book you cite is very interesting. I've reviewed countless photos of old buttons in the past few days, and so far, no match. I'm willing to entertain any theory at this point, but we may never get a positive ID. I hope we file this image back in our brain somewhere, because one day someone will come across this figure and have a eureka moment - I'm sure of it. I think the person that solves this is going to be worthy of a BANNER!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To further muddy the waters, what my old eyes keep seeing at the 6 oclock is MARINA. This may not be a US but an early South American or Spanish button.

You may be on to something, Dug.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still beating the bushes. Really hard to get a look at Spanish buttons unless they are Colonial. By the build of the button I would place it early 1800s. If this does turn out to be a Infanteria de Marina [Naval Infantry] Of Columbia then it would have been in service between 1822 and 1845. Regardless it is a kick to play button detective and educating as well. Here is a link of what I have been reading...Infanteria de Marina [Naval Infantry] Colombian Marine Corps - ColMar

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To further muddy the waters, what my old eyes keep seeing at the 6 oclock is MARINA. This may not be a US but an early South American or Spanish button.

I had came to the same conclusion but my research came to a dead end. I agree MARINA.

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I too have run into a dead end since there does not appear to be much on the internet regarding early Columbian Marines, particularly uniform items. I have put feelers out to my fellow Marines to see if any have any connection to Columbian Marines with hopes that someone over there has specialized in their history, customs and courtesies but consider that a longshot. Problem is that Columbia is not a NATO member so US Marine Corps relations with Columbia Marines has probably been pretty limited not to mention the language barrier. I wonder if someone in the Shipwreck's section of TN has friends over there?

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have run into a dead end since there does not appear to be much on the internet regarding early Columbian Marines, particularly uniform items. I have put feelers out to my fellow Marines to see if any have any connection to Columbian Marines with hopes that someone over there has specialized in their history, customs and courtesies but consider that a longshot. Problem is that Columbia is not a NATO member so US Marine Corps relations with Columbia Marines has probably been pretty limited not to mention the language barrier. I wonder if someone in the Shipwreck's section of TN has friends over there?
Language hindered me as well. Also, interesting that they still managed a contract with a British Manufacturer. Not too hard to believe, but shows how good the comms were in 1830s (ish).

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Wouldn't hurt to ask the Colombian Navy directly I suppose... I'm quite sure it reads Republica De Colombia Marina, just as the one in the link above does, which back then they acknowledged being theirs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Language hindered me as well. Also, interesting that they still managed a contract with a British Manufacturer. Not too hard to believe, but shows how good the comms were in 1830s (ish).

The British source is what I have been keying on. My latest research approach has been to search as many of the British button manufacturer sites as I can find. I was thinking I might find it among cataloged photos, quite a few of which are from foreign countries, but no luck so far.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't hurt to ask the Colombian Navy directly I suppose... I'm quite sure it reads Republica De Colombia Marina, just as the one in the link above does, which back then they acknowledged being theirs.

The company I work for has a office in DC that I visit fairly regularly. I may just make an appointment at the Columbian Embassy the next time I'm up there and show someone the photos - better yet, I may just email them the photos and see if I can get a response.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still beating the bushes. Really hard to get a look at Spanish buttons unless they are Colonial. By the build of the button I would place it early 1800s. If this does turn out to be a Infanteria de Marina [Naval Infantry] Of Columbia then it would have been in service between 1822 and 1845. Regardless it is a kick to play button detective and educating as well. Here is a link of what I have been reading...Infanteria de Marina [Naval Infantry] Colombian Marine Corps - ColMar

Thanks for hanging in there, Dug. Like you, I enjoy the research. With consensus on Columbia and Marina, we could be getting close.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old eBay listing that described this button. It said "dug in Petersburg" and implied American Civil War era.

Sadly, I could not find the pictures from the ad.

Wow, so close! I tried the link thinking I might be able to get seller info, but got nothing. Still, the description is very interesting - telling me we may be on the right path. If we ever get a positive ID that this is a Columbia Marina button, the next mystery would be to solve how these ended up in Virginia!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious where you found yours. Near Petersburg? With two found in Virginia can we surmise that some Civil War soldiers were wearing these and they likely did not come from Columbian Marines?

I had a thought that since the figure on the button is similar to Virtus (found on the Virginia buttons), maybe surplus Colombia buttons somehow found their way on to Virginia militia uniforms or early war commutation system jackets. Of course it is just speculation. I can't prove any of it...

For what it is worth, your button is a similar construction to the reproduction one-piece convex Virginia State Seal buttons I wear on my reenactment battle jacket. Mine represent pre-war build up buttons made in the north-east in the 1850's (Philadelphia, to be exact).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious where you found yours. Near Petersburg? With two found in Virginia can we surmise that some Civil War soldiers were wearing these and they likely did not come from Columbian Marines?

I had a thought that since the figure on the button is similar to Virtus (found on the Virginia buttons), maybe surplus Colombia buttons somehow found their way on to Virginia militia uniforms or early war commutation system jackets. Of course it is just speculation. I can't prove any of it...

For what it is worth, your button is a similar construction to the reproduction one-piece convex Virginia State Seal buttons I wear on my reenactment battle jacket. Mine represent pre-war build up buttons made in the north-east in the 1850's (Philadelphia, to be exact).

Not far from Petersburg. I found this just west of Richmond, VA at an 1757 home site that I hunt frequently; a good 6" deep in a hay field. This particular field, I'm told by the owner, has never been plowed, but rather used as pasture as long as anyone can remember. I tend to believe him as I have found multiple old coppers from the late 1700's to mid 1800's, not to mention many flat buttons, at roughly the same depth if not deeper. After I first got this one cleaned up, I immediately thought "Virginia"; but then the details kept contradicting that ID. Like you, I don't think any Columbian Marines fought in our CW. Got to be another answer. With the info you provided previously, I'm going to contact eBay to see if they will help me ID the seller that made the post you found. He/she may still have a photo. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I did a quick newspaper search and found this article about another of these buttons which was found in the vicinity of Statesville, NC in 1874.

Attachments

• republicadecolombia.jpg
    republicadecolombia.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a quick newspaper search and found this article about another of these buttons which was found in the vicinity of Statesville, NC in 1874.

Amazing! Outstanding work, Bramblefind! That description exactly matches this button, right down to the "loose garment hanging from the left shoulder", which I was calling a cape. I think this article, although absent a photo, pretty much confirms the button ID. The time frame of the union, and subsequent separation, of the Venezuela/New Grenada relationship also syncs up with the suspected early 19th century manufacture of the button. Frankly, I'm blown away. This has got to be the rarest find I've ever made!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I find it rather unique that a newspaper in 1874 would write an article about a button being found and then go on to report the history of it. Relic hunters from long ago!

Upvote 0

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found an old eBay listing that described this button. It said "dug in Petersburg" and implied American Civil War era.

Sadly, I could not find the pictures from the ad.

Wonder if the seller may at least have an archived picture of the button?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tommy G

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it rather unique that a newspaper in 1874 would write an article about a button being found and then go on to report the history of it. Relic hunters from long ago!

I am amazed as well, but if this guy was still around, I wouldn't hesitate to buy him a beer! Without this detailed description, I would still be scratching my head over this find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread