help with detecting with late 1800s property

binky711r

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
buffalo, new york
Detector(s) used
white's spectra V3, eclipse 5.3, bullseye pin pointer 2
help with detecting with late 1800's property

so i have some property that i own, that back in the late 1800's that was used to restock the trains with coal in transit from one city to another and i have gone out a few times detecting on it but i cant seem to find anything there were old building on the property that have long been gone well before my time however some foundations still remain. i have a spectra v3 and i have been switching programs up with coin, coin& jewelry, relic and i cannot seem to find anything other than very old shotgun casing's and some square nails lol, it seems they are the only good consistent beeps I'm getting. its definitely not my usual walk in the park. i am not sure if the abundances of coal fragments have anything to do with this I'm not sure if it could be from all the different types of metal that's possibly in the ground anyone who might be able to lend me some knowledge that i might be lacking would be greatly appreciated. on the upside of it i have been collecting over a hundred of old antique bottles with more on the way.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Re: help with detecting with late 1800's property

Binky, I'll leave the coal thing and machine setting part of your question to someone else. But I'll address this part of your question. You say your spot:

".....was used to restock the trains with coal in transit from one city to another.... "

While the bldg. foundations may look impressive and drip with age: a building like that, with nothing but commercial usage, does not bode well for coin losses. The better places to hunt coins (and related type items) is not where people worked, but rather where they played, slept, ate, drank, camped, etc....

For example: I have seen this over and over here in CA, in the gold rush (mid 1800s) areas: Quite often, the only thing that survives in these old gold mining camp towns, is the concrete foundations of the old sluices, stamp mills, and other such industrial things. And of course, those are the things seen now, that immediately draw the eye of the md'r (because they're so stately, visible, and drip with age). And just like you observed, there is usually little to be found except industrial junk, iron, etc... But the better places to hunt, are places that today might have nothing to show: the tent-city camp towns, where the men went back to each night, drank, gambled, slept, recreated, etc...

Anyhow, it could just be that you have a lame spot, insofar as goodie ratios go.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

:hello: "very old shotgun casing's and some square nails "

With that being said your doing everything right. :)
Seriously.

You have to remove the bad to get to the good. :wink:

OP
OP
B

binky711r

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
buffalo, new york
Detector(s) used

i have been trying to research as much info as i can and i having a hard time coming up with old photos of the place to see if and where these other buildings. thank you for the replies

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

You lucky guy....If you own it, and you like metal detecting,pick a section about 5ft by 10 ft and dig everything. Rope it off if you have to. I do this in parks with my Ten year old son at Old schools.You will be surprised at what you find.

OP
OP
B

binky711r

Greenie
Feb 23, 2010
buffalo, new york
Detector(s) used

its been in my family for generations and no one has ever detected it but it will take time thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread