Help with grapeshot canister shot using electrolysis

crazykid

Aug 5, 2012
Asheboro NC
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD 20, Bazooka Gold Trap, Fisher gold bug pro.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

I would appreciate any help with using electrolysis on different sizes of grape/canister shot. I tried today (first time with electrolysis). I’m looking for tips for what to use to contact the shot, my alligator clips slip since the shot is round. Thanks in advance. Wish everyone here the best.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for grape I don't use electrolysis. This may sound nuts...but...I take a 4 ounce iron tack hammer to them! I just start whacking until some of the pieces fly off, and they do fly off! Watch your eyes. Then I take a 4" x 1/2" bladed cold chisel and use it to drive the rest of the small pieces off. When I'm almost done, I go round the shot and whack whack to finish it off then coat with oil. Takes less than half an hour and makes a heck of a mess! But no chemicals.

Some folks with grapeshot and cannonballs drill into them to set a screw in, but that to me wrecks them. Others use battery cable clips. I have done that, but if you don't have a good surface, that won't work either.

Just think of whack a mole. You can't hurt the solid iron underneath.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just banged mine with a hammer IMG_1490.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, like Truth said! It's the fastest way! And you can't hurt it.

JoshW

Oct 1, 2018
Valley Forge, PA
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also try buying one of those cheap spring clamps. You can drill a hole through one of the clamp pads and put a screw in it. Then, clean a tiny area with a drill bit, just enough to get a good contact for the screw. Hope this helps.

Josh

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
rough clean the grapeshot, take a grinder or a file and get yourself a good spot of bare metal. Strip a piece of wire and wrap tightly making sure the wire is touching the bare metal . Suspend over the tank and clamp outside the water. Just got done running about a hundred for a guy and it works fine

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had two new grapeshot since this thread started. I tossed them in a small tumbler with a few rocks and water and they came clean very nicely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread