Help with ID- German medicine cabinet?

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked this up at a consignment store. I'm going to use it as a display case. But I was wondering what is actually was. I assumed it was german BC of the Maltese cross. Any suggestion as to what it may be, would very appreciated. image.jpg Thanks for reading!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like it is likely a Supply and (locked) Drug storage cabinet from a German WWII Hospital as in one setup in an intact building versus a Field Hospital which would likely be a tent!

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old, unique, industrial piece! I like it. I agree with Frank. It was probably used in a hospital setting. It looks quite deep for a wall mounted type of cabinet. I don't recall ever seeing a wall mounted cabinet that was near a foot deep, or maybe it's just the photo playing tricks on my eyes?

OP
OP
J

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg image.jpg Huntsman- I didn't think about that. Thanks for the insight!

Dig- I always admire your scores! And you were spot on at 12inches, grabbed measuring tape to make sure. It has these metal flaps on the side with a hole. It looked like you could mount it in between shelves and there's 2 large holes on the bottom with a couple of bolts next to them. The wood on top and back are bare. I paid $30 for it. I know... I probably over paid, but it looks so cool!

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More thoughts... Based on the depth of the piece I'm gonna say it is a sterilizer cabinet of sorts that could have been used in a medical, dental or Barber shop setting. I haven't found one exactly like yours but I have found similar ones without the locking drawer. Some of them also depict an iron cross or maltese cross on them. Does the cross look very faded as it appears? I'm wondering if the paint is worn and only a ghost of the cross still remains. If so it could have very well been red, originally. It looks like yours was mounted to the wall between a couple other pieces. By the way, $30 was a steal for this piece. Here is a related cabinet-
Vintage Early 1900 ' S Barber Shop Cabinet Chrome, Glass & Wood T. Noonan, Boston

and a better example-

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/s...-cabinet-emily-j-paidar-company/id-f_2190292/

cabinet-1.jpeg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call Dig.

OP
OP
J

jackiedanger

Apr 7, 2014
Foresthill, Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call indeed! The cross looks sandblasted, and its on the inside of the door. When did people start sandblasting glass? I don't see any signs of red paint. That antiseptic sterilizer is pretty darn close. I just wasn't sure about the shelves being made of wood (doesn't seems super sanitary to me :) I don't know if it matters, but the little mounting things on the side may have been welded on there by a prior owner. I only think this, because the metal doesn't match, as far as luster. There's a couple of pegs on the top, but just two, which I thought was odd. It looks like its missing a little shelf on the top half, because there are what appears to be little supports for one in each corner.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but I disagree with an Sterilizing or Antiseptic Cabinet! The O.P.'s cabinet definitely shows screw or bolt holes through the back panel of the cabinet and you sure would not want those there if the cabinet's use was for sterilizing or antiseptic, especially if the screws or bolts and the holes are unsealed.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions