Cob-2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 424

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter XL500 (PI)
Re: Help with ID & possible value please

The photographs make it very hard to make out the details, but I can tell you the following:

The coin is "Pillars and Waves" which makes it at least 1652 or later. It appears to be from the Potosi, Bolivia mint. It appears to be a 2 reale. The last digit appears to be an "8" in the date. I initially thought the assayer was a "V", and there are two assayers with that mark. With the digit "8" it fits neither assayers time period. If the mark is a monogrammed VR then it is Pedro de Villar, 1679 - 1699 - so it is possible that it is 1688 or 1698. If that assayers mark is an "M" then it is from 1728 - 1732, and 1737 - 1740.

Perhaps Don or Stan can shed more light on your coin. As far as authenticity...I don't render those opinions and the biggest help would be the weight, but that won't be possible with that bezel on it.

Your cross is known as a "cross of Jerusalem". Sorry I can't be more help than what I observed. Some better close-up pictures would help us.

goldcoastwayne

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

Sorry guys. I know it's nearly impossible to tell much from these pics but it's for sale at a local auction and I don't have access to it to take better pics. I can enlarge the pics on the auction site and it looks like the date is 1788 ? Would that even be possible for this style of cob ?

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used

NHBandit said:
Sorry guys. I know it's nearly impossible to tell much from these pics but it's for sale at a local auction and I don't have access to it to take better pics. I can enlarge the pics on the auction site and it looks like the date is 1788 ? Would that even be possible for this style of cob ?
The "pillars and waves" style were made between 1652 and 1773 at the Potosi mint. The key to the date is obviously the third row, middle...keep in mind there will only be two digits...thus 88. The verification is the assayers mark in the upper right hand corner...1st row, 3rd box. I previously stated that the assayer looked to be "VR"...an 88 would fit his coins. If the date is in fact an "88", your coin's assayer is Pedro de Villar, 1679-1699....therefore 1688. That is only based on what I believe I see.

goldcoastwayne

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009

made by the website Atocha1622.com .. should be marked on back ( atc )

was about 24.95 new ..

yet this one is an older one .. no longer on his list

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

After looking at the website where the auction is held, I agree with GCW's assessement: 2R, 1688; 'VR' monogrammed assayer's initials. Whether or not it is real or a replica, is beyond me.

Don.....

divewrecks

Bronze Member
Sep 7, 2004
Down South - Marietta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE (land), Aquapulse AQ1B (sea), Fisher CZ-20 (water, beach), Fisher 1266X (woods)

I agree with Dagfoto. This is a repro coin that I am pretty sure I have seen.

Stan

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used

goldcoastwayne said:
Perhaps Don or Stan can shed more light on your coin. As far as authenticity...I don't render those opinions and the biggest help would be the weight, but that won't be possible with that bezel on it.

Authentic or not .......it sure is fun identifying the original. :laughing7:

Wayne

OP
OP
NHBandit

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250

Thanks guys. This is why I love this place. It looked good to me and I'd have probably bid on it. :coffee2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't the auctioneer guarantee the items to be authentic? Don't ask about the cob, just ask a general question. In fact, be looking at something you know is legit when you ask. ;D

As for the cob, I don't think anyone can say with those pics unless they can match a replica. What strikes me funny is the amount of tarnish on the bezel. Only a dumb criminal would be stupid enough to artificially age both the coin and bezel. I'm not saying an older silver bezel can't take on some color, but I bet the vast majority for sale are shiny and new looking because the bezel really means nothing. Maybe someone who follows these can comment on pieces showing up in older looking bezels. I've bought maybe half a dozen 8 reale cobs but never paid any attention to ones which were mounted. I'd either have to see this one in person or have a guarantee from the sale it's authentic.

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009

from 1998 cataloge :o

Attachments

• toldyaso.JPG
    toldyaso.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 289

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

dagfoto said:
made by the website Atocha1622.com .. should be marked on back ( atc )

was about 24.95 new ..

yet this one is an older one .. no longer on his list
dagfoto said:
Great ID dagfoto. My first question also would be why is it dirty? Are they hiding something? Are they trying to make it look old or dug out of the ground lol?

I agree its most likely one of the Atocha replicas.

Attachments

• spanish cob atocha replica jewelry.jpg
    spanish cob atocha replica jewelry.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 291
  • spanish cobs atocha replicas product_banner.jpg
    spanish cobs atocha replicas product_banner.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 309
  • spanish cob atocha replica jewelry.jpg
    spanish cob atocha replica jewelry.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 295

dagfoto

Oct 9, 2009

those early ones were gold plated .. the gold wore off after awhile.. He only makes solid gold bezels now..

was probably sitt'n around in the junk box "toning" .. before the sale ,,

It was a popular style.. I use to sell alot of them in a store I had..

goldcoastwayne

Apr 22, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
Detector(s) used

dagfoto said:

Dagfoto nailed it...it is "430D" in that catalogue. Also, notice that is "the cross of Jerusalem with no ornate quatrefoil". The authentic coin was 1688.

goldcoastwayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions