Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button was found at a location where I have found numerous relics from the War Of 1812 and earlier. I'm having trouble trying to identify this button???. The area it was found in is northern Maryland and property dates back to late 1600s. Thanks in advance for any information. GL&HH

WP_20170206_16_31_59_Pro.jpg WP_20170206_16_32_40_Pro.jpg WP_20170206_16_32_49_Pro.jpg

Upvote 6

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dfallis1; You finally have come up with something that I can not even come close to IDing. Here are my impressions ok. First is that if it is from 1812 then what I think I see on the front very well may be a crude African Slaves Head or Profile with the Plains making up the line across the bottom. I'll call that side the Obverse for simplicity ok. Now if you turn the Relic over I see what looks like an Egyptians Head or Indians Head wearing a Head Dress. I honestly do not believe it is a button as well. Here is why. I think it is to large for practical clothing usage. Also, when a button is made they would stamp the design onto the TOP of the button NOT the bottom. This item has a design on BOTH sides so it does not make sense to be a button. It does look like there was "something" attached to the middle but I just don't know what. This item may have served a dual purpose as well. I'm just not sure. I can hardly wait for the other Folks here to jump in. PLEASE let us know what it turns out to be. I think that will come about by a general consensus on this item.
Lastly, You may want to actually take it to a Museums Conservation Dept for ID. They could probably nail it for you ok. They have a VAST database of knowlege about this stuff ok. Again, PLEASE tell Us what it turns out to be ok. Great Find. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Last edited:
OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Barker for the advice. The back is indented of the front bust. The middle would have been the shank but has snapped off.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:An interesting piece - too bad I can't help on the ID.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
There have been a few Egyptian revivals over the last two hundred years, your piece fits well into that.

it's an interesting piece, I'm interested to see where your research goes

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dfallis1; Thnks. Here is my thing. The impression on the Obverse does not match the profile on the Reverse of this item. I agree that there was "somethng" attached to the center of the Reverse but I don't think it ws a shank. Even when I zoomed in on it that indent still did not look like a shank spot altthough I could be wrong on that part of it. I'm wondering what the Folks here think of the Obverse Profile as well. You may have a RARE piece there. Maybe not. I'll wait for the others to jump in here ok. Where is IronPatch, Mackaydon or CRUSADER ?? They could help a lot. We here await. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Wildcat and Ironhorse. I'm stumped on this one. I looked through several resources and cant find an example. Still looking

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dfallis1; Thnks. Here is my thing. The impression on the Obverse does not match the profile on the Reverse of this item. I agree that there was "somethng" attached to the center of the Reverse but I don't think it ws a shank. Even when I zoomed in on it that indent still did not look like a shank spot altthough I could be wrong on that part of it. I'm wondering what the Folks here think of the Obverse Profile as well. You may have a RARE piece there. Maybe not. I'll wait for the others to jump in here ok. Where is IronPatch, Mackaydon or CRUSADER ?? They could help a lot. We here await. PEACE:RONB

OK I didn't understand at first your point of view. Looking at it with a loop the design/bust of the object is identical on both sides. looks to be punched from one side and then something added to the middle which my guess would be the shank. On the obverse side you can see more details, that might be what is showing differences. Thanks again for the help

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dfallis; Ok. Then it starts to make sense. The pictures don't do it justice. Now about the Design on the Obverse. What is that Design ??? PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dfallis; Ok. Then it starts to make sense. The pictures don't do it justice. Now about the Design on the Obverse. What is that Design ??? PEACE:RONB

Just finished a light cleaning. Revealed a little more detail. It looks to be some kind of head dress bust. Here are a few more pictures.
WP_20170206_18_54_45_Pro.jpg WP_20170206_18_55_49_Pro.jpg WP_20170206_18_54_05_Pro.jpg

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome! Didn't think it would have so much detail. Definitely looks Egyptian or atleast Egyptian influence.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the extra cleaning, I would call it a "egyptian pharaoh" button - showing a Upper Egypt headdress with the Vulture instead of Cobra.

Nice!!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yep king tut profile

OP
OP
dfallis1

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is awesome! Didn't think it would have so much detail. Definitely looks Egyptian or atleast Egyptian influence.

Yea some figure with a head dress. This is one of the relics found when we went out last Fri.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
does this mean that perhaps the egyptians brought the treasure to oak island?
Or it could be the treasures of king tut himself?
will the button predate the digging on oak island?

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
does this mean that perhaps the egyptians brought the treasure to oak island?
Or it could be the treasures of king tut himself?
will the button predate the digging on oak island?

Have you been subcontracted by the Oak Island production crew?

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it made of? Is it lead? Looks as though someone tried to make impressions on both sides of it. Either that or it was some sort of medallion that was in a fire

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea some figure with a head dress. This is one of the relics found when we went out last Fri.

Yea, I remember seeing it thinking that it was some type of spanish button. Wanna hit it up again this Fri? I also wanted to tell that I may have a really good permission lined up. I have to talk to my friend first :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions