Help with Minihighbanker

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Cube, Royal Mini Highbanker, Angus Mackirk sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just purchased a Royal Gold Mini highbanker used. Can any body tell me the proper way the expanded metal is suppose top be placed in the sluice section? I know it suppose to be a certain way but I don't have any directions.
Also what pitch should it be at? the usual 1" per foot?
Thanks

Upvote 0

vcgjr76

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at this too, but I have been studying this for about a year now so maybe I can help. Look at the expanded metal closely, it should be bent upwards one way. place it in your sluice so that the water flow has to go up and over the expanded metal. This will create small eddie currents for your gold to get trapped in your moss or carpet. If placed backwards it will force water under your expanded metal and could wash out gold. So up with the water flow just like your riffles. As far as the angle, 1" per 1' is standard but not a given. Water flow and material you are running could vary that. You have to set it up and run a small sample to see how the material clears out. If you cant see your moss or carpet behind each riffle you either have too much water flow, not enough water flow, or not at the right angle. Make ajustments then you are ready to run. Good luck and if I missed something or got something wrong hopefully some experienced guys can correct me.

Last edited:

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Frghtshkr and vcgjr76,
Welcome to the net fellas. Someone has been paying attention to what he reads in these forums. Vc yo decribed it perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself. One other thing you will want to consider Frghtshkr is the pump size in your set up. A1200gph bildge pump will work very good.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
moss2.jpg

vcgjr76

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Frghtshkr and vcgjr76,
Welcome to the net fellas. Someone has been paying attention to what he reads in these forums. Vc yo decribed it perfectly. I couldn't have said it better myself. One other thing you will want to consider Frghtshkr is the pump size in your set up. A1200gph bildge pump will work very good.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Thanks BH, I have been studying all I can so I don't screw up. All the studying in the world is nothing for hands on, so I will be going out for my first time tomorrow. Should be about 70 degrees so I'm ready.

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all! I appreciate the guidance. Now since its raining here I can work some cons I have.
Thanks again!

fuseboxxx

May 6, 2013
Thank you all! I appreciate the guidance. Now since its raining here I can work some cons I have. Thanks again!
. I have that model. It comes with 800 gph pump. Using that pump I set it at 10 or 11 degree pitch(angle tool from lowes). It cleans out well and catches the smallest of gold. By the time your next shovel is ready it is cleaned out depending on black sand volume. If you get a bigger pump you will want to lessen the angle. This machine is top notch maybe going to try some gold hog mat in it sometime. Good luck

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fuseboxxx OK I might see a problem with mine already I only have the 750 GPH. I was wondering about the Gold Hog mat as well. Now if we went to that we wouldn't have to use the Riffles or the expanded metal is that correct? Thanks for the tip on the angle tool as well I am just eyeballing it now.

Nuclear

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great visual! I had a similar question but now you answered it! Thanks.
I recognize Gold Hog from several you tube videos....I'm beginning to research you mats--there sure is a lot to consider!

OP
OP
F

Frghtshkr

Apr 23, 2013
Gilbert AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep I know every time I go out I think of something else to try streamline the process. What little I know about the mats is they come in a few different styles and I believe they recommend you use 3 different ones in succession one catches the large gold, one for the medium, and another for the finer stuff. One thing is the clean up looks a lot easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread