Help with my Ace 250 that wont detect.

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
Help with my Ace 250 that won't detect.

I posted this in Garrett detector reviews, but haven't had much traffic.
I just got the okay to hit two places I have been wanting to detect and it is warm outside so I really want to get this thing fixed.
I was hunting fine in coin mode this morning and switched to jewelry mode in an area that I thought may be hiding some gold. After a while of no signals I became suspicious and threw a quarter on the ground. No beep, no signal on the screen, nothing.
Now it won't hit on anything in any mode.
Anybody have any experience with this kind of problem in the past?

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Help with my Ace 250 that won't detect.

Ya that's has happened to me. Then I changed the batteries and it worked again. :tard:

Seriously, never heard of a MD just quitting like that. Did it get wet? Warranty? Send it to Garrett's for repair before it gets warm out?

Good luck,

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CanadianTrout said:
Ya that's has happened to me. Then I changed the batteries and it worked again. :tard:
or check your connections on the coil wire and headphones

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge

f word

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only time that has happened to me is like the other reply's, batteries going or bad connection.
Use good alkaline batteries like Rayovac, Energizers, something like that. I change mine sometimes
when they aren't even showing close to dead.

HH,
Ramapirate

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro

You try to reset it. IIRC you hold the power button down for like 5 or 10 seconds, I think then it lets out a couple of beeps. That resets the pc in it. (or something)

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

I'd try the suggestions........new batteries, reset by holding the power button, check connections, and if you have a coil cover, take it off and check that there is nothing in there. If that doesn't work, send it in. My 250 quit on me once..........and it was exactly as you say. One day I turned it on and it wouldn't detect anything. I sent the coil and housing to them and it was fixed. I had it back in under two weeks........their customer service is excellent............it turned out that the coil simply went, so they threw in a brand new coil.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just bought a Garrett Ace 250. But my GTA 1000 was working, then suddenly no signal on anything. I changed coils and then it worked again. I always use a loop support now. The coil that works is the one began using a loop support. The other coil used it a while first without one, that is how the coil got ruined. Eventually, at least with the older coils, the cable gets loose or damaged.

Make sure the sensitivity is on too...electromagnetic interference can cause the detector to make false signals and hardly work right also.

If your detector turns on, shows good batteries, no sound...the display is on showing settings/mode...sounds like a coil or connection problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread