FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi all!
I found this pipe bowl in a stream in Greenville, NC. I was wondering if it is Native American in origin, and if anyone can guesstimate a time period? I found this a year ago, but have been wondering about it ever since. I also found this point 1/2 mile upstream if anyone knows anything about that as well. Thank you! (a couple more pics coming)
-T

DSCN0903.JPG DSCN0902.JPG DSCN0906.JPG DSCN0907.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This pipe is one of my favorite finds. If anyone can provide me with any info on it, it would be greatly appreciated! (Any idea if I need to seal it with something to preserve it?) and the point-
DSCN0913.JPG DSCN0916.JPG

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a section of a native American platform pipe. Like this one. The point looks like a quartz Savannah river. That Would make it Middle archaic to woodland which is anywhere between 2000 and 5000 years old in your area.

PlatformPipeA.jpeg

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hoping to find one of those for years.

ForumRunner_20121214_152517.png

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a Native American Platform pipe.....looks to be made out of Clay.................nice find, most go there whole life of hunting native american artifacts and never come up with a pipe...........That platform pipe is broken but if it wasn't it would be worth over 1k for it......................GTP

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Might have had a short platform and not be broke by much. A very rare find. Congrats!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to find a pipe, great find

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would be back to that area for some more eye ball finds. Usually when you find something like that there is more. Look for where the artifacts stop and look at the streams banks for maybe a charcoal line flint and pottery. Nice pipe Frisco.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments! I feel very lucky to have found this, and it is my favorite find. I will be sure to keep it outta the sun, and will be going back to check the spot I found it in. It's funny, but I go there to look for shark's teeth, even though I always hope to find Native American artifacts the most. The banks do have a distinctive black layer showing if I recall correctly- I will keep a keen eye on these parts. Any other tips for looking around the stream? Again, thank you all for sharing such useful knowledge with me, this site truly has a great bunch of people on it!
:hello2:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One tip for the stream would be to check just downstream from what appears to be the best area of the bank. At times of high water things will be washed out of the bank and collect in rocky areas or bends in the stream. Usually winding up just behind an obstruction to the water flow.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
One tip for the stream would be to check just downstream from what appears to be the best area of the bank. At times of high water things will be washed out of the bank and collect in rocky areas or bends in the stream. Usually winding up just behind an obstruction to the water flow.

that makes perfect sense

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Exactly & good advice. That's what I do here in SW Georgia.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yup that's what I do in regards to shark teeth- good to know, great minds think alike. Thank you all so much for the help! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread