Help with Razors

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm just now learning about razors & picked these three up at an estate sale. Pretty sure I screwed the pooch on this one. There was a huge box of over 100 vintage razors & these 3 were in a separate bag with a few others. They had these marked $40 each & claimed they were fatboys. I never held them next to each other.....I looked at the adjustable part & assumed they were the same. Negotiated a price of $45 for the 3. Once I got them home it's pretty obvious to me that the first 2 are different from the last one. Looks like this could be one of those learning experiences. Any info would be helpful.
001_1.JPG

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the one on the right is the "fat boy". There should be some other letters and numbers on the inside of where the razor sits. That will help narrow it down. I think you still will double your money out of them, hopefully.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there that great a price differential between fatboy and slim? The date code is what I use to get a good idea of price on ebay. Assuming they all are Gillette and they are clean, you will do OK. I like to buy them at $3 but $15 gives you room to make money.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I would have liked to pay $3 myself but that wasn't happening. I wasn't really comfortable at $15 each especially for an item I'm unfamiliar with. I did some on the spot price checks of completed auctions for fatboys & it looked like they started around $25 & went up from there. My reasoning was that I should be able to double my money & possibly more if I had a good date. I convinced myself to buy by falling into one of my bad habits. Instead of looking at each item & asking myself if it was worth it I lumped the razors in with everything else I was buying & told myself I'd triple(or more) even if I had to throw the razors in the trash. That's been a hard habit for me to break...I'll gamble on something knowing I'm doing well on the rest of the lot.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll probably make a decent profit and expand your knowledge .
Sounds like a win to me!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have liked to pay $3 myself but that wasn't happening. I wasn't really comfortable at $15 each especially for an item I'm unfamiliar with. I did some on the spot price checks of completed auctions for fatboys & it looked like they started around $25 & went up from there. My reasoning was that I should be able to double my money & possibly more if I had a good date. I convinced myself to buy by falling into one of my bad habits. Instead of looking at each item & asking myself if it was worth it I lumped the razors in with everything else I was buying & told myself I'd triple(or more) even if I had to throw the razors in the trash. That's been a hard habit for me to break...I'll gamble on something knowing I'm doing well on the rest of the lot.

I buy/collect razors and you have decent lot there, even at 45.00. A clean fatboy, and I mean clean! will fetch about 40.00 without too much trouble. The slims will average 25.00+. If you want top dollar, clean them very well and inspect them closely for damage or problems with the plating.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner but I still start with a soak in boiling hot water with a few drops of Dawn soap. It will loosen up the grime that you don't see hidden in the cracks. Then get out your soft tooth brush and start scrubbing with more soap and water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread