Help with setting up a Fisher CZ-20

Hey Rod, sent you an e-mail and posted an answer over on another thread also!? Lonewolfe posted similar response on another thread.? Now see there, that's what you get for asking the same thing too many different places!? Of course my primary setting is fun!

Hay Darod,

I got a CZ7 a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how different the two machines are, but here's my input from my experience so far:

I have highly mineralized soil so keep that in mind

In parks and trashy areas I run sensitivity at 6 or 8 usually. Sometimes that is still too high when I'm in lots of hot rocks, and I might turn it down momentarily.

Sometimes I notch out foil and pulltabs if I'm in a lot of trash and not really looking for gold. I leave Iron in because the CZ likes to give a false coin signal on rusty iron sometimes, and hearing the iron beep alternate with the coin beep helps me to decide whether or not to dig a target.

On the beach (only went once), I seemed to do fine with the sensitivity turned all the way up and I notched out iron, left everything else on.

I also turn the volume down to 4 so that I can determine the depth of a signal by the beep. I think most if not all CZs have audio boost for faint signals, so deep faint targets supposedly sound off loud and clear. This is defeated if you turn the volume down. Not sure if that's good or bad really, but I'm trying to find old coins so the faint beep is more what I'm looking for.

Keep in mind that I am a newbie to this machine too, and still haven't found any deep silver, so my advice may not be worth a plugged nickel. ;) ;D

Hey Cheese, you're right you can still hear the faint ones with volume at 4 on the CZ-7. That's because it's the signal that determines if you're getting an audio indication or not and works in a more digital sense, on/off. But we usually go ahead and crank the audio up so when we run in auto tune or all metal we can hear those real deep targets the id fails on. The CZ-20 is different, being submersible there is a direct correlation between the rotary volume dial and the sound in your headphones. That thing will blast your ears off at full volume. So it's a case of turn it to where you're comfortable and you can always adjust from there. I stuff the headphone cups with gauze when I'm using the 20 in the woods and want to crank it up.

Oh, ok...I guess the CZ20 is different than the CZ7. Wasn't sure. I mean, they're obvioulsly different but how much so, I didn't know. I rarely use all metal because all the hot rocks and trash in the areas I'm hunting. There's almost never a steady tone. If it weren't for target ID, I would probably have given up detecting by now, lol!

Thanks for the advice guys. I intend to go and read the other post now :)

Rod

I kinda figured you gout there and started playing and forgot to check in on the mail, forum etc..

Darrod the cz20 is basically a cz6 in waterproof case and a fixed saltwater mode. I used my cz7a down at my folks house. I ran my sensitivity at 4 and gb at preset. Set it to reject iron it will have 2 tones med is foil up through pull tabs. high tones will be zinc cents up.The cz 20 is a great machine and look forward to seeing some of your finds. Let us know how you do
hh

Went out today with it. First time I've really and any "time" on it. I spent about 3 hours hunting a park I've hit several times (and I'm sure there are 20 other guys hitting it too :)) . Anyhow, I found some clad, not much. I kept getting signals in auto tone and then not able to find the target? I would switch out of auto tone and discrim up to see what the target was but sometimes I would loose the target all together. I think my batteries may just be getting low on charge. I didn't notice that I was finding pieces of iron, rusted fragments from whatever. You know, like pieces of old iron bolts or something. Perhaps that is what I was hitting and couldn't find because they were so darn small. I can tell you this,......MAN, am I impressed with the depth! I found 2 quarters and nickel at about 12" to 14" and I had the sensitivity set at 5. Not bad!

Any advice you guys can offer I would be very grateful. I'm having a bit of trouble pinpointing with it still,...I just can't seem to get a handle on the coil and how it tracks/hits on the target. Again, any advice is appreciated.

Rod

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back