Help with site searching.

taggedyou

Tenderfoot
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am working a site in NC. I have found buckets of pottery and a hand full of scrapers, a few points and 2 pipes. I think I am digging in the firing pits as dirt is dark and course. Finding pottery 6 inches into dark dirt and down 30 into red clay I think I have found a work site next to the fire pits that is where we have found all the tools. I can't seem to find any other daily life items. I think we have been looking in the dumps and would like to move to out and find more. So if i am digging in dumps and fire pits what would be a good direction to move away from them. Site is on the side of a hill with a road half way betten it and a small creek. Top of the hill has been removed for house that was never built. It seems like a long term living site but 99% of find are broken pottery. I will try to add pic of finds this weekend. Thanks for any help.

:BangHead: Well new land owner as of forclosure sale said no to any more looking. Tried to talk my way back in but it was told it will always be no. 900 ac peace of land shutdown :BangHead:

Upvote 0

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There really is no sure way to determine, the pro's claim the most southeast area of the site is the most productive. You could try some test pits or trenches to try to determine where their huts were and likely if theres any ground stone tools or other items thats where you'd likely find them. The dark dirt could be from the fire pits and/or daily debris from habitation.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Assure yourself that you're not digging in dirt that was removed from top of the hill and pushed down the sides. A side of the hill camp sounds unlikely unless the slope is very "gentle". Keep in mind also that camps were routinely cleaned by sweeping the top layer out, artifacts would go out with the cleaning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread