Help with the ID of this navy looking badge

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. A friend of mine found this badge a few years back in a nearby woods in MA. I'm pretty stumped as to its age and am also not sure if its military or civilian ??? It looks to be made of silver plated copper. I'm thinking it could be some sort of neckerchief slide but it looks a tad bit small for one.

IMG_0877[6043].jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Thanks for lookin.

OP
OP
Fossils

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics I sent before were looking kinda small and fuzzy so here's a closer one:
IMG_0882[6049].jpg

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think the answer to your question of what it's original use was, lies in the back.
To me it has a Masonic or Knights Templar look to it, possibly decoration from a ceremonial cloak or an overcoat. :icon_scratch:

“While most historians agree that the Knights Templar fully disbanded 700 years ago, there are some people who believe the order went underground and remains in existence in some form to this day.”

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0879-crop.jpg
    IMG_0879-crop.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might be a bolo tie slide. I don't recognize the symbolism, if it is that.

Or a scarf slide.

I remember wearing a polyester hanky around my neck in the early 70's. It was called an "Apache scarf" at the time. Although I would likely be tried and convicted for cultural appropriation in the court of social media if I called it that today... (insert eyes rolling here).

Anyway, the scarves were held on using a similar type slide.

I'm not familiar with the symbol on the front. IMO there is nothing "Navy" about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fossils

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help everyone! I think it definitely looks like a shoe button cover, maybe from the 1920s or so.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread