Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: EXPLORER SE?

Why the Heck do ya want to dig any deeper man? :wink:
Just keep working with it hunt in "all metal" no discrimination.
That machine. will do it.. crank her up.

X-Splenda

Sep 15, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra
Re: EXPLORER SE?

i got the extra-705 and i am digging like 14 inches. maybe there's nothing that deep. and make sure your sensitivity is high up.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skatergod6262 said:
haha thanks i just got it i turned it to 32 HAHA :tongue3:

If you're 32, than you're almost certainly using auto sense. In doing so, that detector is adjusting depending on the ground so in some places you might only be running at factory sense or a little above. I can't remember if there's a point how low it will drop.

Try getting used to running your gain at max, will help on the deep stuff. Also, as little disc. as you can handle with the high sense, but running at zero makes for a lot of useless extra digging.

PS... In places with undisturbed dirt most coins I think tend to be in the first 6"-7".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skatergod6262 said:
thanks IRoN PATCH

Try running 27/28 man. sense, Ironmask at maybe -90+% (It's -14 on an Explorer II) and crank the gain and see how that works. If your detector seems a little less stable it's because it's running hotter. That being said, I think there's a very good chance you're just not getting over many deep coins.

OP
OP
skatergod6262

skatergod6262

May 18, 2008
utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
ok thanks ill try it and post what i find at the old house im going to.Once again thanks IRON :read2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skatergod6262 said:
ok thanks ill try it and post what i find at the old house im going to.Once again thanks IRON :read2:

Around places like an old house with lots of junk depth really isn't really that important. Being able to pick out the good diggable tones will be what finds you the most.

OP
OP
skatergod6262

skatergod6262

May 18, 2008
utah
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
ok but after that im going to an old park and thats even worse haha and do you got any tips on how to find largies there next on my list ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skatergod6262 said:
What is gain?
???

It's under the options menu where the volume is. The higher the gain setting the louder deeper targets sound.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I finally got an SE last year(graduated from a tesoro cortez), and there is definately a greater learning curve with thsi machine. I haven't been out much with it this year, so I'm still in the beginner phases. Good to read useful advice, I'm definately gonna crank my gain up, I've been searching the site of some old homes that were 'dozed in the twenties, they've already coughed up a bunch of wheat, several silver dimes, an 1842 LC, and an 1840 half-dime. Hang in there on the LC's skater, we aren't as spoiled as those lazies out east, but if ya work at it, you CAN find big copper(I've gotten 5, in Wisconsin).

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you can send me the Minelab and i will send you my Garrett Ace250 and your finds will triple. :headbang: The Minelab is a more advanced machine. You have to read the manual and know all the lingo that the manual has in it.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
skater, I agree with the others that there may not be that many deep targets to begin with. Make a test garden, bury coins at different depths, and see how they sound. Deep targets are very often going to sound edgy, so get used to that fact. Forget coin mode, and get used to as little discrimination as possible. You'll get better depth and will eventually be able to learn the sounds of trash and you'll mask fewer good signals . Don't trust the numbers, trust the sounds. Although IP is right about gain, be careful with it at first because it can distort your signals and you might not be ready for that yet. Don't sell the minelab. :D

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2
YEP YEP YEP...... You need a test garden , you need to learn what different things sound like .
The detecor is doing it's job, You need to work with it more to under stand it better .
I all comes it time , ok .... Make your test garden :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread