✅ SOLVED Help with token

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this token/souvenir coin while detecting an old football field. I have tried to find something like it on Google, but I have had no luck. Does anyone know who put out this token? It is heavy (feels like a silver dollar) and has a reeded edge. It is bright gold in color and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. My best guess would be that it came from a museum, but I just don't know. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 95

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The name sums it up. Tybee Island Lighthouse and Museum in Georgia.

I think it's neat, like a Chuck E Cheese token.

Made better then the clad change of today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm assuming it is from the museum there, but it doesn't actually state the word museum. After posting this I did look up museums on Tybee Island and discovered the Tybee Island Museum is located in the light house, so I agree it is most likely from there. I wrote the museum for confirmation. It is definitely in better shape than any of the clad I dug today. It was shining like gold coming out of the hole, and for just a split second made my heart skip a beat (I didn't have my glasses on so I could not immediately read it). I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't first look up the museum BEFORE posting this. It is by far my most interesting modern day token. Thanks for your reply.

Upvote 0

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever get a chance, you need to visit Tybee Island. I get over there once a year while at a conference in Savannah on River Street. There's some really good places to eat at and the metal detecting is o.k. when the tide is out during the summer.

Upvote 0

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, thanks for the memory.

Reminded me of hunting for sand dollars at Tybee, the swarms of Fiddler Crabs at Skidaway island, and exploring Fort Pulaski.

I was last there as a youngster - 1995.

~Tejaas~

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm rarely in Georgia, but you have me wanting to visit it. I'll have to research Tybee Island as a possible destination. As for the metal detecting, I'd love to visit anyplace with a beach. I'm landlocked here in Indiana.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread