🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This came from a documented site where a British ship landed in 1814 in Eastern Virginia, sent some sailors ashore, and they had a brief skirmish with Virginia Militia. What is your opinion on buttons and time period? All photographed from back are plain front and flat. Some have designs - are these what I've seen called "Hessian buttons?" Large sent is dated 1801 and 1/4 silver coin 17??. Some ball buttons and a flintlock hammer. Trying to identify some, and determine if I indeed have relics from that skirmish. Nothing definitive (military marked button, etc.).
IMG_2333.JPG IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2332.JPG

Now below, are some .69 cal round balls and some smaller balls. Also some misc., stuff, some probably modern.

IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2336.JPG

Below, the only things I'm sure of is the heart-shaped lock (time period?), the scissors handle and the (most likely) furniture pull. What do you make of the large, heavy iron things that look like tent pegs, and all the rest for that matter. I included 2 more shots of the thing in the upper left.

IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2338.JPG IMG_2339.JPG

Next below looks like a small lock plate (escutcheon) off a jewelry box maybe? It's the size of a quarter.

IMG_2343.JPG IMG_2345.JPG IMG_2342.JPG

Next, I know I've got a modern Rabbit-ear breechloading shotgun part, and a strap hinge. But any clue what the other odd-shaped thing is? It's FLAT by the way . . .

IMG_2341.JPG

Finally, what do you think of these? The hole in the screw thing does NOT go all the way through. Maybe a drawer handle fit in it? How about the weird shaped thing? And finally, the copper thing: The writing style looks early, but it's not a button. Maybe a modern "snap"? Any clue?

IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2346.JPG

Thanks in advance for any help. has been fun hunting, just wish I could "prove" these were from that skirmish!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,fantastic site!!!I really like that flintlock hammer.Your lock dates at least to the mid 19th Cen.The long piece with your gun parts,I beleive is furniture from the fire armAbove that.....although I think its much too small,but resembles part of a much later double barrel shotgun action,but I seriously doubt thats what it is.The screw thing has been a subject of dispute,most say they are drawer pulls,and some beleive they went to the flint jaw on your flintlock lock

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scotdixon

Feb 18, 2013
Knightsville
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Bounty Hunter 505,101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I have found the same screw thing on a colonial site in S.C. also found furniture pulls and such at same time. With that said the same area produced flintlock mechs with a blown barrel. Cool finds there is more

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions