Help with wiring on a GX120 4 hp Honda motor

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all.

I picked up a GX 120 4 horse honda motor off Ebay for my dredge. It works great, except I have no idea how to wire the shutoff switch. It looks to me like the motor came straight off a mower, and it has a shut off switch right on the motor, but none of the wires were hooked up. At this time, I am pulling the plug wire to shut it off, but that doesn't seem like a good long term solution. Partly because I am getting shocked now and then, and also because I am trying to keep the plug wire off of a hot muffler when I do this. If you could describe what wires should go where, or give me a drawing, I can work off of that.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kaz

Beav

Mar 22, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
VLF
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HI Kazcoro,

There are many places you can find a GX-120 manual on-line. First google search I did for "GX-120 manual" took me to a site where I found the manual and a wiring
diagram toward the end of the manual. On this page it showed a Black/Red(stripe) wire that comes from the kill switch, and it gets plugged into an all-black wire from the
ignition coil. That's pretty much it. The other connection from the kill switch goes to ground (chassis) on the engine block, but that connection may not have a wire it may be
a direct connect via a screw going right into the engine.
Hope that helps and not confuses?

Beav

OP
OP
K

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a single wire coming from the kill switch. I have a single wire coming from a grommet through the top of the engine less than an inch away from the kill switch. I have a round coil looking thing on the other side of the block that has a single wire split into two coming from it. I also have a wire coming from what looks like an oil level switch below it. That one is split into two as well. These are all on the same side of the engine. 20150315_171058.jpg

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this shows how there connected
Looks like you have an extra plug that may have went to a key or safety lever thing

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread