Help with Wooden Artifact?

BB1945

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2012
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all. A Newbie jumping right in here with a question. I'm not having much luck identifying an item, nor even where to look for help. This Wooden Stick has got me baffled. But I'm not a Historian either. Wooden items don't seem to survive long periods of time. So here we go with my first post.
My discovery is leaning towards being a Wooden Tent Peg(?) The only reference to a similar item was found on the NWTA website, and included drawings of such items from the 18th Century. Here is their image:
8.12tentpegdrawing.jpg My stick seems to match that of Item "B".

Here is a photograph of the stick I have found: It is in very good condition.
8.12tentpeg3.JPG 8.12tentpeg2.JPG
Mine is measured at 10 1/2" long, which is longer than the one depicted in the drawing. But if no one has ever seen one, perhaps the dimensions are questionable? Or this is from a different time period.

There seems to be no Revolutionary or Civil War action in my area of Northwest Indiana. Now for another kicker. While at the beach, I found this stick in the water of Indiana's Lake Michigan. The fresh waters of Lake Michigan may have contributed to it's preservation, if it is indeed that old. But there are 5 Great Lakes, bordered by quite a few states, including Canada. Plucked here from a watery grave, it would seem impossible to determine its actual origins. That's a lot of years and a lot of water to be lost in. Perhaps even from a shipwreck carrying supplies?
I thank you for any help with this challenging stick.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sort of looks like a tent peg. Probably not, but bet is was used for something similar. Regards

Upvote 0

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure...but looking at one of your pics can see the fine lines of age rings which are very close...old growth wood,a hardwood versus soft like pine...quite possible a piece of wood that type could last a long time in water...does look like a peg of some sort....possibly a circus of some type visited the area in years past?.....

Upvote 0

BFO

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT Tesoro Sidewinder Bounty Hunter Professional Bfo Whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it cold be Bigfoots toothpick! How about maybe[I think they called similar pieces keys or maybe locks] ,they were driven in where two pieces of wood or other materials were joined together,to hold them together.They have been used on furniture and old farm implements or gear.

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That type of design is called a gibb. It is usually used as a wedge to hold something in place like a wooden pulley on a shaft. The lip on the end or head is is for removing it. Some of the wooden ones are very old. Metal ones of that design were used on engines and line shaft equiptment

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BB1945

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2012
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
happycamper ... thanks. I do believe it is old. Lake Michigan preserves things very well, including intact airplanes. Too small to be with a circus?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BB1945

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2012
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
BFO .......... your suggestion matches the next reply. But Bigfoot is a good idea too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

BB1945

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2012
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Tony ..... thanks for the new word, and sounds logical too. It could have been in use anywhere. Now to attempt some research on age, and maybe a drawing.

Upvote 0

HAPPYCAMPER

Aug 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
MXT 300MM PISTOL PROBE FISKARS SPADE AND SHOVEL 12INCH,4X6 AND 8X6 SEF
XT600 TO GET THERE

BEST FIND TO DATE 1787 FUGIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
happycamper ... thanks. I do believe it is old. Lake Michigan preserves things very well, including intact airplanes. Too small to be with a circus?

Wouldnt think to small to be tent peg for at least a smaller size tent,the plastics ones you get nowadays with a new tent are smaller than that...and driven into ground at right angle would hold back quite a bit weight would believe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions