Minelab Excalibur II 800
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur Blue 15" WOT coil
Minelab Excalibur Blue 12" SEF coil
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Folks,

I have questions about my x-terra 70 and hope someone can help me understand what the machine was doing and how to solve these issues.

I went out yesterday and tried out my x-terra 70 for the first time on the beach. I thought I understood how to use it since it worked great around parks and old houses, but when I set it up at the beach, I had a lot of false signals until I turned down sensitivity setting. Even so, I was surprised at the depth I was reading. But there was a problem.

As I walked along and covered large areas of sand, I would seem to walk into a zone where the 70 would go crazy. The sounds would not settle down and were all over the scale. When I clicked pin point and then clicked pin point again, (that normally resets the machine) the problem seemed to get worse. I finally turned off the 70 and waited a minute and then turned it back on to see if that would help, and it did, but it went crazy again within a few seconds. I had to turn the machine off and walk out of the problem area, quite some distance, before my 70 would resume normal operations. I had two friends with me and their machines didn’t experience any problems in the “Zone” areas.

I tried coin mode and beach mode with the same result. I rechecked ground balance and no help. Twice I reset the machine to factory settings and went through the normal setup procedures like I have always done and this didn’t help.

My question is; This is a digital machine, not analog, and I am wondering if anyone has had data processing problems like this? I think this is a great machine, but problems like this subtract precious time from hunting. This beach is located in SW Florida and the temperature, I thought, might play a role here.

Also, as the day drew to an end, sunset, it started to work really well and found lots of good targets in the same areas I had searched twice before during the hot part of the day. It seemed to respond to the cooler temperatures around sunset. It was clearly a better machine at days end when compared to how it worked earlier that day.

Why would the time of day affect the machine?

To spite the troubles, found one gold ear ring, toy car and clad.

Thanks in advance.

Stoker

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

stoker_x1

May 1, 2006
Ft Myers Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur Blue 15" WOT coil
Minelab Excalibur Blue 12" SEF coil
Torsoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi again,

Follow-up!

Hope someone can help....... The crazy spell acted like a software glitch or overload condition. The problem is that holding the coil still, allowing the machine to catch up a bit, didn't help. Seemed to be stuck in a loop. That shouldn't happen.

Also, I know that soil conditions change during the day, which could explain why the 70 worked better before sunset. Humidity in the air and moisture in the ground could affect performance. Understanding why the setup of the machine worked so well at sunset could help in adjustments for earlier parts of the day. If anyone has had this experience before, I would like to your thoughts.

Thanks
Stoker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread