help

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
This book may have some photos, if you can get a copy...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wimarine/peshtigo_harbor.html

Check also local city archives if possible. Also type "peshtigo" into Ebay and see what comes up just for fun.

Peshtigo 1881 1881.jpg

Jay

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If you are thinking of hunting this area...I would follow the rail....

Former Peshtigo Harbor and Lumber Mill Sites: This area bustled with activity from 1867 to 1897. It was the busy lumber mill and shipping port that drew a population of 500, made mostly of workers and their families. Today all that is left are the pier pilings and the shore birds. The boat landing found at the end of Harbor Road is near the site of the old lumber mill

Town of Peshtigo

1838 - J.H. Leavenworth built a sawmill on the west bank of the Peshtigo River.
1850 - Leavenworth built another mill on the east bank of the river. Population: 566.
1867 - Wagon road joined Peshtigo and Peshtigo Harbor.
1871 - The village and much of surrounding area destroyed by forest fire. See The Great Peshtigo Fire.

Trackage rights were obtained on the eight miles of Milwaukee track between Bageley Jct. and Marinette. On Sept 1,1895 the W&M took over the private rail line of the Peshtigo Lumber Company. Called the Peshtigo Harbor Railroad it consisted of about eight miles of track between Peshtigo Lumber Company's mill and a harbor on Lake Michigan. Constructed in 1862 and 1863, its purpose was to haul finished lumber to the harbor for loading onto ships. The Peshtigo Harbor was originally laid with strap iron on wooden rails, but was converted to regular rail in 1869-70. Its early construction date makes the Peshtigo Harbor the first track laid in the state of Wisconsin north of Green Bay!! The W&M extended its line south from Bageley Jct to Peshtigo to connect with this line. W&M wanted it because they wanted car ferry connections, and were unable to get land in Marinette or Menominee. The ferry was only a limited success and was abandoned in 1905. Peshtigo Lumber was the largest customer of the W&M and Peshtigo was the company's headquarters. The W&M had a large shop building there which repaired locomotives for other logging operators as well as taking care of the W&M's needs. Iron ore would be the next major draw as the line was extended north to Cundy Jct. (about a mile north of Quinnesec Mi) in 1901. Trackage rights were obtained on the Milwaukee allowing the railroad to extend service to Iron Mountain. In 1905 a 5.5 mile branch was built from Aragon Jct to the Aragon Mine at Norway. The iron mines along the W&M went bust in about 1910.
In 1902 a branch was begun westward off of the main to the area around Lake Noquebay. It was extended again in 1905, and 1910. This branch was built to serve interests of the Peshtigo Lumber Co. (PEshtigo Lbr had looked into building their own railroad, but decided instead to contract the W&M to haul their logs

Colton1939

Oct 1, 2011
I've also detected at Peshtigo Harbor, I have a map of the town if you want to see it. in 1881 Peshtigo Harbor had a population of 719, 2 schools, a company store, a big boarding house, it even had a shipyard at one point.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Our local library has an archive of old historical photos online, maybe the library there does to.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
K-man:

Check the Library of Congress website. There are an astonishing number of photos readily available.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread