Help

caroline63

Jan 3, 2008
Upvote 0
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Caoline63,
Welcome to the site, I am not familiar with the detector you have but here is a link to a site you can go to and download the manual for your Fisher Gold Bug as well as read a field report and download the spec sheet. http://www.akmining.com/mine/fisher04.htm

Your father probably used the machine around the American River to find gold nuggets. I do not know much about nugget hunting but you can get help on that in the "nugget hunting" section on the main forum page. Good luck and look forward to seeing your finds.
Glenn

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Caroline,

I have read a couple of posts about the Gold Bug. They have been good ones. There is one hunter in particular that wrote a good bit about it back in December. I will try to find the post and link it to a personal message to you if I can find it.

If you intend to hunt for gold nuggets, I think your old Gold Bug is still a good machine. If you want a more modern detector, go to the links just above the Beach and Shallow Water topic. There are lots of discussions about particular detectors. In fact, you may find something on the Gold Bug under the Fisher topic. I would stay with major brands, Minelab, White's, Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro if you are looking to expand your horizons. There are many detectors out there in various price ranges. There are some low end name brand detectors with some high end features and some high end name brand detectors with all the bells and whistles.

Good Luck and I will send you that link to the Gold Bug post if I can find it.

Jim

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Caroline,
Welcome to TN.
The Fisher Gold bug is still a great detector, even by today's standards. There are others available that may have more "kick", and whistles and bells, but you really don't need to start out with those. Why spend the bucks when you already have a good machine to get you going. Just remember that the coil is waterproof but the control box isn't and it is very easy to slip on a mossy rock and take a dunk.
Spend some time doing some study on detecting for gold nuggets and locations then learn to use the gold bug as well as you can. The big thing is not to get discouraged if you don't start finding big nuggets right away. They are around, but are more rare than the smaller 'jewelry' gold which is the bread and butter for most nugget hunters with the occasional bigger chunk being a bonus. There are some exceptions to this as some nugget hunters specialize in hunting down big nuggets and might have a photo of a bunch of nice nuggets sitting on the tailgate of their pickup truck. They also have a lot of $ invested in their equipment. Maybe you can move into that someday, but for just getting started and checking out if you like it or not, stay with the GB until you have it all figured out. There is still plenty of gold that is detectable with the gold bug and with the price of gold where it is you will be able to buy a newer and better unit by the time you have it all figured out.
Good luck to you and please keep us all updated.. Highwater
One other thing. Hopefully your unit has more than one size of coil. If not then you want to have an assortment of big, medium and small coils. You may need to look around in the various classifieds and auctions and aquire what you need.

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
You have one of the better gold detectors right there at your finger tips. Learn it well before you start thinking about a bigger and better machine. Remember, you can get the coil wet but not the control box!!!!!
Happy Hunting and hope you find gold in your pan!

Desertfox

OP
OP
C

caroline63

Jan 3, 2008
I just can't say thankyou enough to you all fine guys here. I just guess I am going to have to sit down and do my homework. In my father's last days of good health he took me out to some of his fav, places. Just mostly watched, to see him enjoy himself at what he liked best. Hard work sometimes, but to see his face light when he saw some color. It was always worth the hike. Knowing of his health I moved back home. Now I kind of like it here. A bit hot in summer, but really pretty. So much to see, and do. And oh the history. But so close to everything. Thankyou all for your help. Just trying to walk in some big foot steps. Talk you all soon.

C63

PS Is Ok to keep asking questions? I don't want to be a bother.

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
C63,

You seem to have a good connection to your father through his metal detector, that's nice. I'm sure you will think fondly of him when your using it.
You ARE at the right place when it comes to asking questions. All of us here love the hobby and Tnet is all about asking questions or giving answers. Hope to hear more from you. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread