Henri Delauze

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henri Delauze, the founder and president of the COMEX group of subsea and diving companies sadly passed away on the 14th February 2012 aged 83.

COMEX were a pioneering company that developed many of the techniques used in Saturation diving and became the largest diving company in the world for many years.

Henri Delauze was also instrumental with the design of the Rolex Sea-dweller and Submariner watches, that used to be issued to their divers and that they could also keep after 10 year’s service.

He had a lifetime interest in historic shipwreck and was the main sponsor of Robert Stenuit on his projects for many years, supplying divers and equipment as well as much needed finance.

In later years after he sold off the offshore Oil & Gas side of the company, he remained actively involved in shipwreck by using his manned mini-subs and survey vessels to locate and survey deep water shipwrecks in the Mediterranean.

He was still diving into his 80's and still piloted his mini-subs himself ( www.comex.fr ).

For a few years was on the board of directors of Odyssey.

A Google search of both “COMEX Diving” and/or “Henri Delauze” will bring up lots of information on this remarkable man, and the huge company that he built up from scratch.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
VOC, Thanks for posting that about Comex. It was a great company to work for, when I first started as a Commercial Diver, my first job was with Comex. Mainly working off of oil rigs overseas. :icon_pirat:

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
old man said:
VOC, Thanks for posting that about Comex. It was a great company to work for, when I first started as a Commercial Diver, my first job was with Comex. Mainly working off of oil rigs overseas. :icon_pirat:

You too?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread